PDA

View Full Version : Conexant modems - autodetect for next version

guiyo
01-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi! I'm very happy with knoppix. I've tried several "easy" and non intrusive linuxes with little success (winlinux, etc.) - so imagine my surprise when I burn the cd and my laptop (HP ze1110) runs linux in two minutes, video, sound everything without a glitch!!! couldn'tbeleive it.
though this is too good to be true. my modem, a conexant winmodem, is not recognized, and I have to surf the web with m$.... There's a website with the drivers, though I'm just a newbie and don't know how to install them...
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/
any help appreciated!

thanks!

spool
01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
:D :? :shock: :cry: :x :wink: :wink: :wink:

I too want this. Knoppix is very very cool!
Any help with this conextant modem would be more than appreciated.
(beg grovle grovle beg beg)
Thank you, Thank ya verrry much.

Cain't wait to do internet with my Knoppix!

spool

chrisr
02-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Hi Guio,

same problem here. There is a family of drivers from Conexant available, but I am not yet clued up enough to get that to work with a Knoppix CD.
Anyone out there knows how to do it?!

Kind regards -

chrisr

taralezh
03-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi all:)
I am new to knoppix, but I really like it!
After the hdd install I have problems only with my modem - Connexant HCF... and visit the website to download the rpm files.
But when I type:

rpm -i hcf........rpm, it apears a message:

pcutils is needed
/bin/sh is needed

does anyone knows something about these files or directories???

Is there other way to install my modem?

I will be happy if someone writes.

Emanuella

RockMumbles
03-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Knoppix is built with debian packages which are *.deb packages not *.rpm packages. Knoppix and debian do have some support for rpm packages but you will have to " force" the install as there is no database of installed rpm packages, as no rpm packages are installed.

IIRC(??)
use something like:

rpm --force --no-deps -i packagename.version.rpm
the rpm may work or it may not because of library dependencies.

For a debian based system you should get familiar with using: apt-get, dpkg, synaptic, etc. You might want to see if there a deb package available for your modem?

rock

rickenbacherus
03-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Those of you with winmodems may find this interesting:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO.html

taralezh
03-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi,
thanks a lot for the answer!
I'll try it, when I get home:))))
I hope it works...
found a pciutils and think to install it...
and so...searching for *.deb driver
and still browsing the forums:)))

greets,
emanuella

chrisr
03-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi there,
I just installed my Conexant modem. My problems were:
1. computer crashed during RPM installation - it overheated since Linux has no power management for it. Afterwards I had a half-baked installation: RPM refused to re-install ('packet is already installed') or to delete ('packet is not found'), until I discovered --force.
2. During installation, there is ca 1 min of complete silence, no hard disk activity, etc. Next, you must get a success message which also gives the name of the /dev/ttyxxxx entry. Write it down, you will need it.
3. Several of the semi-automated installation 'wizards' seem not to work, since they can't handle the unusual device name. I found error messages like 'trying to install device which is not a tty', etc.
4. to do the installation manually, I found excellent help at the following site:

http://www.wellmodem.com.tw/support/linux/howto/ppp/ppp-howto.html#toc2

Hope this helps - else post another message!

Cheers - Chris

rickenbacherus
03-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Hi there,
I just installed my Conexant modem. My problems were:
1. computer crashed during RPM installation - it overheated since Linux has no power management for it.

Really? it overheated because of Linux?

chrisr
03-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Hi RickenbacherUS,
yes - it does. Both with Debian and RedHat. It's a Compaq Presario with an AMD processor, and under W2k the fan rarely runs at full speed (and, if the laptop is just sitting there, after a short time the fan usually stops), whereas the Linux software that I installed so far doesn't know how to switch the processor to low-power mode. It wasn't my major concern, but when the system stalled in the middle of an rpm-installation, it did cause some head-scratching.
BTW: I tried your option of installing rpm's under Debian, and could not get it to work. I guess it is easier to compile and install the package - the source code is available from Conexant. But I haven't checked which other modules they need.

Regards - Chris

taralezh
04-29-2003, 02:13 PM
:D

greets,
emi

taralezh
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Hi all!

I installed the new hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700 driver!
I am so happppppppppppyyyyyyy :D :D :D

There is a new site for Conexant modem drivers:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

Visit it and download the .tar.gz file.
Just do the makeinstall
and surf the net

:D

greets,
emi

VxJasonxV
04-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Are all of you guys using Knoppix Live, or Knoppix HD Install?
I can't install packages because /etc/* is read-only since it's all on the CD.

taralezh
04-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi VxJasonxV,

I use knoppix hdinstall.
It's easy and takes only 15-20 minutes:)

VxJasonxV
04-30-2003, 02:06 PM
it also takes up HD space, and re-partitioning which is a no-no for me for now.