PDA

View Full Version : Epia 10000 Nehmiah

Onetrack
06-21-2003, 08:07 AM
Hey all, first post (woo woo) luv Knoppix....

I have an Epia 10000 that I'm about to do some mod work with, and was wondering if the latest (June 06/2003) has any issues with these new boards.

I wanted to mount the entire system into a very cool aluminum box i got with the complete everquest set today, with a DWL 520+ dlink wireless card.

If you have Knoppix running on any of the epias, I'd appreciate a short post letting me know what if any problems you had getting up and running.

I kinda sorta know my way around Unix, but its been awhile and i'm a little rusty.

cheers,
One

aay
06-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Onetrack,

Can't be of any help since I don't have one of these boards, but I would be interested to hear how it works out.

Adam

Onetrack
06-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Well actually I'm online atm with my Epia 10000m (eztra-T based)

Its working =-SLICK=-

playing frozen bubble with full audio ;)

Also I'm working on putting the board into an Everquest biscuit tin ;) I got it with the platinum everquest set. so far I'm really pleased with the speed and the compatibility of Knoppix on the epia platform.. this is excellent.

Cheers,
One

paradocs
06-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Hi Onetrack

Well, now I guess my Epia 9000 is out of date. :)

I had a good adventure getting the sound to work
but KNOPPIX is terriffic and the alsa cheat code
will get the sound going. This will save you some time.

To fine tune it to get rid of static and noise check out
this link for settings:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831

Happy Knoppixing
paradoc

aay
06-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Onetrack,

These boards really look nice. I hear you don't even need a fan so they would be a perfect choice to build a multimedia box. What is the price range on these things?

aay
06-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Hmm. Found one for $155. Not a bad deal considerint the processor is included.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=810325/search=Epia%2010000/ut=41286116e09f96b8

paradocs
06-28-2003, 03:20 AM
Hi All

The small ITX board size for the VIA is great.
Some are fanless but others take a small
processor fan and a very quiet case fan -- but
this is much quieter than a standard box. The energy
use is very low -- somethng like a laptop I think. I
have a external transformer to 12 volts and a small
fanless internal board to give the voltages.

My 500MB memory was about $80 US.

KNOPPIX works well with all the onboard devices
as far as I know.

Best Wishes
paradocs

ktheking
07-07-2003, 05:14 PM
Sorry for all your enthousiasme but the USB ports give trouble for the epia
motherboards on the latest knoppix release 06/06/2003.
Origin of the problem is the VIA chipset.
So if you're planning on constructing somthing with USB devices ,be warned.... .

meaning :

I think there is still a bug in the usb driver of the latest knoppix release. Meaning :

I am creating a webcamserver (for several usb webcams ,using the motion soft) but I'm struggeling already for several weeks)
Till upon now when I discovered the error :
ov511.c: ERROR: urb->status=-75: Babble (bad cable?)

I've found the answer on the net (http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/faq.html

Q: My camera is detected properly, but I get errors about "endpoint stall", "babble", "error -75", or "error -110" when I try to use it.
A: Do you have a VIA chipset? VIA USB controllers seem to have problems under Linux. You should report such problems to the usb-uhci or uhci driver maintainers. Also, make sure USB is enabled in your BIOS.

My hardware config is the EPIA V8000 with OV511 based webcams.

Since I think the USB stuff is a part of the kernel ,how can I oversome this problem ?
Has anybody had a similar problem ?

Greetings from Belgium,

Koen

ktheking
07-08-2003, 11:33 AM
If have more info about it :

http://lwn.net/Articles/9632/

problem resides in kernel 2.4.20-xfs (present on knoppix 06/06/2003)

should be solved with development kernel 2.5.36 (or 37) ,where they inserted some patches.
I quote :
'Kernel release status
The current development kernel is 2.5.36, which was released by Linus on September 17. The big news was, of course, is the merge of the XFS journaling filesystem. There's also the x86 "huge page" patch, an IEEE-1394 ("Firewire") update, a big USB update (converting the code to the new driver model scheme), an IDE update, and various other fixes. See the long-format changelog for the details.'

If anybody has a remastered knoppix with this development kernel 2.5.36 ,can you contact me ? thanks in advance...[/i]

colin stewart
03-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Sorry for all your enthousiasme but the USB ports give trouble for the epia
motherboards on the latest knoppix release 06/06/2003.
Origin of the problem is the VIA chipset.
So if you're planning on constructing somthing with USB devices ,be warned....

I felt it well worth me making an update to the OPs comments as almost a year has passed, and things are very much better now.

I got a couple of the fairly recent Epias here, an M10000 and a CL10000 both have Nehemiah core CPUs.

I am just starting out with Linux so I'll not comment beyond saying it all seems to be fine under knoppix 3.3, however one of them is presently running winXP and I have to say that's doing about anything you could reasonably want any machine to do, and the USB issue appears to be a thing of the past now.

I have witnessed VIA usb problems firsthand on another machine some time ago so I know what to look for too. Not seeing any of that sort of thing now on these two boards though.

So I'll stick my neck out and give it a thumbs up on the two that I have, others may be able to add more info for other models too, now that some time has passed!

ktheking
04-13-2004, 02:13 AM
Indeed.
Meanwhile some solutions came abroad.
The webcam program I was using caused the babble error.=>in the updated version =>ok
Meanwhile knoppix went to kernelversion 2.6 (knoppix 3.4).=>so usb patch is inserted.
Progress CAN be good thing.... :lol: .

Flash00
10-09-2004, 04:13 PM
If you're interested in rolling your own computer, you should consider one of the mini-ITX boards.
This website is dedicated to them:
http://www.mini-itx.com/

Most of them dissipate so little power that they require no fan at all. The EPIA is the smallest motherboard available at Fry's. Pretty cheap too, considering it comes with the CPU and everything else, except RAM and power supply.