PDA

View Full Version : Belkin PCMCIA network card not detected in Knoppix 7.0.5CD

boryeu.mao
10-17-2013, 06:56 PM
This card was detected fine with Knoppix 4.0.2CD (as "NE2000 compatible"). What are the kernel driver(s) or package(s) that I would need for 7.0.5CD? Thanks in advance for help or pointers.

boryeu.mao
10-18-2013, 08:28 PM
In Knoppix 4.0.2CD, the dial-up modem card requires the kernel module pcnet_cs, which in turns depents on, at least, three other modules: 8390, pcmcia and pcmcia_core. In Knoppix 7.0.5CD, the module pcmcia_core is missing. Perhaps it would be best to build the module from the scratch in the system, eventually - but is the module available somewhere, which would help push back learning all about m-a a bit??

boryeu.mao
10-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Two embarrassing corrections: (1) The card is an ethernet card - I got myself mixed up, with my other problem (with a dial up modem). (2) After further investigation, it seems that pcmcia_core is compiled into the kernel (according to CONFIG_PCCARD in /boot/config file), and not as a module (thus no pcmcia_core.ko file) in Knoppix 7.0.5CD.

Thus the problem remains that the Belkin F5D5020 ethernet network card failed to be recognized at boot time in 7.0.5CD - there is no 'eth0' entry in /proc/dev/net, even after manually loading the module pcnet_cs. Help!

klaus2008
10-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Do you really boot off the Knoppix 7.0.5 CD or do you use an HDD install or an install on a flash device (USB stick, SD card)?

On my notebook the problem can be solved if the package pcmciautils_018-8_i386.deb has been installed before the kernel module yenta_socket is loaded. In the following I will explain how I avoid loading the yenta_socket kernel module too early.

In any case you should download the package pcmciautils_018-8_i386.deb (http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pcmciautils/pcmciautils_018-8_i386.deb) and save it on a medium that can be accessed by Knoppix after boot.

The further steps depend on the way you boot your system.

If you use the Knoppix 7.0.5 CD you have to use the cheat code modprobe.blacklist=yenta_socket and, of course, all other cheat codes you usually apply. After the desktop is ready you can use the filemanager to find the package mentioned above. Then open an LXTerminal and change to the directory containing the package. There you install the package and load the kernel module yenta_socket.
sudo dpkg -i pcmciautils_018-8_i386.deb
sudo modprobe yenta_socket Insert your PCMCIA card and issue
ifconfig If your network card has been detected successfully you will find a new network device (e. g. eth0 or eth1).

In the other cases you can boot your installed system as usual. Navigate with the filemanager to the place where you stored the package mentioned above. Open an LXTerminal and change to the directory containing pcmciautils_018-8_i386.deb and install this package with dpkg as described above. Reboot your system and wait until the desktop appears again. Open an LXTerminal and insert your PCMCIA card. Issue
ifconfig and examine whether you have got a new network device.

I hope that helps.

boryeu.mao
10-19-2013, 02:31 AM
Yes - you absolutely have solved the card recognition problem!!! THANK you so much Klaus.

I boot my knoppix via 'tohd/fromhd', so it is like booting from the CD - in this approach, I couldn't leave the pcmciautils package on the hd partition, since as you noted specifically, it needs to be installed fresh at each boot before loading yenta_socket. But everything is exactly as you described.

[Off-topic: My decade old laptop with its built-in modem now serves as the dial-up server in my little network - it is too old to be useful for graphical browsers, but with its Belkin card working, I can use a modern laptop for that (faster processor, more memory, but without a dial-up modem), via IP Masquerade within the network. Ethernet connection on the old laptop is the last, vital piece -- Thank you!!]