PDA

View Full Version : Possible purchase of DVD

Stephen
06-21-2003, 09:52 PM
As for pressing more DVDs: Please talk about this with Michael Kleinhenz
as well. He is of the opinion that we should only press enough DVDs for
the LinuxTag sale, and denies that there is potential of selling the DVD
afterwards as well via the Knoppix distributors. I can't order more
LinuxTag-DVDs on my own, if the other team members disagree on this.

Please write to Michael <kleinhenz@linuxtag.org> for details.

From a post on the developers list so it looks like the only way to be able to purchase the DVD is to make it clear that there is a market for it so if you want one I would suggest making your intentions to purchase one known to Michael.

ziyad
06-22-2003, 01:22 AM
I don't think there is a market for it. probably 10 or 20 people will buy it that is all.

you can try the pre-order thing. have a period of pre-order that way u will know how many people really want it and then make that many copies ( plus 5-10 extra just in case).

rickenbacherus
06-22-2003, 04:17 PM
I sent a email- I voiced my opinion (no too obnoxiously) :)

It won't take too long for everyone to shoot a quick email over and hope that we are heard! Please let us buy a Knoppix DVD!! You're depriving us poor folks who cannot afford a DVD burner I tell you!!

mikekgr
06-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Well regarding this topic, I definitely be interesting to get Knoppix on DVD.
My problem is that I am not very sure what I have to do in order to state this opinion...
Stephen (or any other) would you like to help me a little bit. (You are authorized to forward this posting to any responsible person for DVD project).

Best Regards
Mike Kranidis

P.S. Sorry guys for my English. It is quite limitted I know...

rickenbacherus
06-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Well regarding this topic, I definitely be interesting to get Knoppix on DVD.
My problem is that I am not very sure what I have to do in order to state this opinion...
Stephen (or any other) would you like to help me a little bit. (You are authorized to forward this posting to any responsible person for DVD project).

Best Regards
Mike Kranidis

P.S. Sorry guys for my English. It is quite limitted I know...

According to Klaus you can just send an email
Please write to Michael <kleinhenz@linuxtag.org> for details.

Your English sounds fine to me.

mikekgr
06-22-2003, 11:36 PM
OK rickenbacherus. According to your suggestion I sent email to kleinhenz@linuxtag.org with my request for Knoppix DVD.

Thanks.
Mike

audioaficionado
06-23-2003, 09:18 AM
How much will it cost?

Michael Kleinhenz
06-23-2003, 09:46 AM
thanks for your interest in the Knoppix DVD Edition.

While I fully understand your concerns about the production of the
DVD, I'll have to note that the LinuxTag e.V. is a non-commercial
organization which has to be on a tight budget.

We're producing enough DVDs to fulfill the demands at LinuxTag itself
and those of the distributors which have already signed an order for a
certain amount of DVDs. I don't know where the rumor comes from that
we're only producing for LinuxTag, but you have to understand that we
have to rely on confirmed facts concerning order amounts. We have to
act reasonable on this topic.

I assure you that all current Knoppix distributors have been notified
and that they will be delivered with DVDs if they have ordered them
from LinuxTag e.V. by June 24th.

Please also note that we can't ship individual DVDs. Please contact a
distributor for your order. Lehmanns ships to the USA and other
countrys. You can contact Bernd Sommerfeld from Lehmanns at
berlin@lehmanns.de.

Meanwhile, you can take a sneak peek at the DVD's wallpaper at
http://www.evil-genius.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=2

Thanks,
Michael

rec9140
06-23-2003, 04:32 PM
thanks for your interest in the Knoppix DVD Edition.
We're producing enough DVDs to fulfill the demands at LinuxTag itself
and those of the distributors which have already signed an order for a
certain amount of DVDs. I don't know where the rumor comes from that
we're only producing for LinuxTag, but you have to understand that we
have to rely on confirmed facts concerning order amounts. We have to
act reasonable on this topic.

The debate on the DVD centered around this debian-knopppix list post:

"This DVD edition will be a one-time project and only be available
within the LinuxTag 2003 Kit (fee is used for funding the Free
Project booths on the exhibition), and not for download (maybe with
exceptions for betatesters with high bandwidth). Followup editions
of Knoppix after LinuxTag will still be standard 700MB CD images
(until virtually everyone can afford a DVD-writer and CD-Rom drives
have vanished completely).

Regards
-Klaus Knopper"

I assure you that all current Knoppix distributors have been notified
and that they will be delivered with DVDs if they have ordered them
from LinuxTag e.V. by June 24th.

Who are the distributors who have signed up for the DVD, in the US, please. CheapBytes, Edmond Enterprises? Many of the CD distributors I think are just DL'ng ISO and making CD's to distrubute.

Thank you in advance.

blixblix
07-14-2003, 11:30 PM
I bought 2 (I was travelling light) extra dvd's while at linux tag for all the folks requesting it here.

They can be found here

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3618163936&category=8133

and

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3618146417&category=8133

Sorry about ebaying it but it's better than getting tons of requests for just two dvds.

Chris

firex
07-15-2003, 05:35 PM
knoppix dvd at lob.de in germany

PsycoX
07-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Why not put KNOPPIX DVD available for download as a regular version?! Although a DVD's ISO is huge when compared with a CD-ROM ISO.. couldn't it be made available online? Even if it were only on one mirror! Instead of having a bunch of versions, that particular mirror would have just the DVD version...

PX.
8)

Sergio1704
07-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Klaus Knopper has already said that until everybody can afford a DVD writer there won't be any future DVD versions. One might agree or not, but he is the boss (simply because it is him who does all the work).

zblace
07-20-2003, 07:47 AM
I am meteing a few debian/dynebolic gurus this summer for awhole week and I would like to a) show tham knoppix DVD version b) further customise it (as we will have DVD burner)

Could someone please put it on-line?

ingmar
07-20-2003, 02:51 PM
I've found it!
http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/work/outputexpert?mode=viewone&titnr=221672238

Thanks Lehmanns!

barrymac
07-29-2003, 11:38 AM
All my compliments to this excellent pioneering distribution! I would have gone Linux Tag but I was already on my way to the Love Parade in Berlin when I found out about it. :mrgreen:

I got a DVD edition of Knoppix 3.1 which was just the CD iso burnt on to DVD. It was a popular inclusion on the cover of Linux Format magazine, and is included every now and again due to popular demand. It was most impressive due to the increased read speed of the DVD drive, but 4 Gigs of software would be incredible I think.

Not to mentiong the gaming potential, like the way gentoo have built on your inovations!

I think there is definitely a market for this disk, go on, put it on main release.

Barry.

barrymac
07-29-2003, 11:43 AM
I can get a DVD-RW for GB£74 now in the UK! Not the coolest ones but not too bad. Pioneer A06 I think. I've posted a couple of copies of knoppix out to a firend in Zambia where they really need this kind of help. DVD writers are definitely not that cheap there though, not like anyone could buy them even if they were anyway.

Klaus Knopper has already said that until everybody can afford a DVD writer there won't be any future DVD versions. One might agree or not, but he is the boss (simply because it is him who does all the work).

eadz
07-31-2003, 12:28 PM
I've found it!

Thanks Lehmanns!

If you're outside of the EU ( as I am ) don't count on this.

For a start, I tried to buy this with my credit card, and recieved an automated email in German, but no further correspondence. So I called up "speka de english?" and was told that they do not accept credit cards form outside the EU.. Back to square one...

Pixelman
08-02-2003, 03:47 PM
I've found it!

Thanks Lehmanns!

For a start, I tried to buy this with my credit card, and recieved an automated email in German, but no further correspondence. So I called up "speka de english?" and was told that they do not accept credit cards form outside the EU.. Back to square one...

I used Google translation tools to go through the Lehmanns site and place my order and when I got to the "Check-Out" it gave an option for International orders so I placed my order and it seemed to accept it so I am still waiting for delivery(standard delivery postage charged 6.15 Euros).

About 8 days after placing the order I received an Invoice in the mail for the said order and so I thought that was efficient of Lehmanns advising that the order was processed and I should expect the goods to follow later. A footnote printed at the bottom of the invoice (specific to this order) "In Deutschland Lieferung generell portofrei - Payment by creditcard (no., validity date). No Checks allowed!" and this has been crossed out with a wiggly line in ballpoint pen.

:?: So your post has me concerned that it may not be coming after all, did you place your order on the Secure International Order page? If I have not seen the goods within the next 2 weeks, I will have to Email Lehmanns and it will be also be indicated I guest if it shows up on my Credit Card Statement.

:?: Also can anyone advise as to if the Linuxtag DVD edition Knoppix is only in German because on the forum located here http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-July/003478.html seems to indicate this to be the case? Being an international Conference and on a DVD I would have assumed that they would provide both German & English versions? Is there any Cheat Codes to boot in English or any other workarounds to deal with this issue?

:?: Also it appears that the DVD also had some bugs that Klaus acknowledged and said he was going to put up on the web (see this topic) http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2973&start=45&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= can someone give a pointer to were these are please?

This is the first Forum I have joined - Knoppix and it are both great! :D

Fabianx
08-03-2003, 02:25 PM
I've found it!

Thanks Lehmanns!

I used Google translation tools to go through the Lehmanns site and place my order and when I got to the "Check-Out" it gave an option for International orders so I placed my order and it seemed to accept it so I am still waiting for delivery(standard delivery postage charged 6.15 Euros).

About 8 days after placing the order I received an Invoice in the mail for the said order and so I thought that was efficient of Lehmanns advising that the order was processed and I should expect the goods to follow later. A footnote printed at the bottom of the invoice (specific to this order) "In Deutschland Lieferung generell portofrei - Payment by creditcard (no., validity date). No Checks allowed!" and this has been crossed out with a wiggly line in ballpoint pen.

:?: So your post has me concerned that it may not be coming after all, did you place your order on the Secure International Order page? If I have not seen the goods within the next 2 weeks, I will have to Email Lehmanns and it will be also be indicated I guest if it shows up on my Credit Card Statement.

:?: Also can anyone advise as to if the Linuxtag DVD edition Knoppix is only in German because on the forum located here http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-July/003478.html seems to indicate this to be the case? Being an international Conference and on a DVD I would have assumed that they would provide both German & English versions? Is there any Cheat Codes to boot in English or any other workarounds to deal with this issue?

:?: Also it appears that the DVD also had some bugs that Klaus acknowledged and said he was going to put up on the web (see this topic) http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2973&start=45&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= can someone give a pointer to were these are please?

This is the first Forum I have joined - Knoppix and it are both great! :D

When you get it you boot with "knoppix lang=us" and its english ...

The bugfixes are not up yet, I think ...

cu

Fabian

Pixelman
08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks Fabian,

I will await the DVD turning up, my initial thought was that using Lang= was the trick but when I looked at the cheat codes I assumed it only affected the Keyboard layout, I have since tried it with the 3.2 CD and yes found that it loaded with what Language I set.

I will keep an eye on these forums for the DVD bugfixes, no doubt Klaus will put a posting up.

Thanks to you and Klaus for all the work you put into this it really helps a new Knoppix convert like myself.

Regards
Pete