PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Doesn't Boot On Windows 8.1

Threshold
01-24-2014, 02:43 AM
Hello everyone,

I have used Knoppix with great success for years.

I recently had to change my PC and was therefore forced to move to Windows 8.1 and since I haven't been able to run Knoppix (newer or older versions).
Apart that Windows 8.1 has this new bios which I don't like at all, the best I can get from it is a blinking cursor at reboot and than nothing happens.

These are my PC specs:

http://prntscr.com/2m0h0n

Please let me know if you need any more info and thanks to all who will help.

utu
01-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Greetings, Threshold.

I may have had somewhat the same experience as you.
I have a Window 7 machine which I also use for Knoppix.
I also have a Window 8 machine.

Knoppix 7.2 doesn't boot on my Windows 8.0 machine as delivered.
It looks as if I could disable uefi and Knoppix might work, but
then I'd have no access to Windows 8. You may have this same
unsatisfactory choice. I'm hoping Klaus K or someone on this
forum has a better option for us.

Klaus K often updates Knoppix about the time of the
annual CeBIT symposium. I'm hoping a better treatment of uefi
might be one new features in Knoppix this year, but I have not
heard any such hopeful news.

__________________________________________________ __________

Interesting prntscr.com png. Are you aware of Knoppix's built-in
Screenshot on the Accessories menu?

Threshold
01-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Hello utu!

I am going mental with this new bios.

What I am trying to do is copying some files from an ext3 formatted usb drive to Windows but so far I have yet to find a way.
I also tried running Knoppix in Virtualbox which works but than i don't know how to see the aforementioned ext3 usb drive attached to Windows (who would like to format it after i attach it.)
If anyone has a solution to this I'd appreciate it.

Going back to booting in Knoppix I still need that in case I need to repair my system.
Searching the web i found these 2 articles which might be useful to you too:

1) http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

I followed the instructions but whatever i chose it won't work
If i chose to boot from the dvd than all i get is a black screen and a white, still cursor.
So i have no clue really

2)https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

Here they present a more definitive solution but i am very wary of trying it as i am not that experienced and I only have one PC.
I am afraid of locking myself put for good and not even having knoppix to attempt anything.

Let me know

Thanks

utu
01-24-2014, 07:09 PM
I have two Dell laptops, both 64-bit machines. One laptop is
Windows 7, before uefi, and one is Windows 8.0 with uefi.

My Knoppix 7.2 LiveUSBs are made from Knoppix 7.2 LiveCDs,
which I believe all have only 32-bit kernels and 32-bit efi
programs.

The following link includes some comments by Klaus K in regard
to uefi booting Knoppix 7.2

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/mwjwmhAbcuDOuICojYbJ

The reference leads me to believe that using the OEM boot choices
on uefi machines assume that if it's a 64-bit machine, the boot up
process expects to find a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit bootloading
program on the non-Windows medium selected for an alternate uefi boot.

I'm not familiar with Knoppix's 7.2 LiveDVD, but I expect it
may well have a 64-bit kernel and boot loader options built-in,
whereas the LiveCD does not.

Threshold
01-27-2014, 03:07 AM
So I have finally managed to disable UEFI and get the option to boot from a dvd.

Unfortunately whatever I try to boot from (Knoppix, Ubuntu, Xubuntu) stops halfway.

The screen resolution changes constantly and the monitor loses the signal several times and than I only get some garbled colours like when you try to play an encrypted video or just a black screen.

For Knoppix I get the "loading sequence" announcement and the splash screen with the penguin but than it stops there.

Any idea what causes this?

Thank you.

utu
01-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Have you done testdvd and checksum tests on the dvd?

Threshold
01-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Have you done testdvd and checksum tests on the dvd?

Hi utu,

Do you mean testing the knoppix image after downloading it?
I did the md5 test and it completed successfully.

Anyway i loaded all these images into Virtualbox and they work fine so i guess they are all right.
Unfortunately i don't know if it's possible to access my ext3 usb drive from Knoppix, loaded into Virtualbox, and if so how to do it.

Anyway i'd like to be able to have a functioning copy of Knoppix in case I run into any PC issues as it has saved me in the past many times.

Thank you.

Werner P. Schulz
01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
.. if it's possible to access my ext3 usb drive from Knoppix, loaded into Virtualbox ..After starting Knoppix in the VirtualBox go to the menu of VirtualBox => Geräte => USB-Geräte (I think in english "Devices => USB devices") and select your ext3 usb drive. After a short time you'll see it within PCManFM and you can mount it with a mouse click.

klaus2008
01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
The screen resolution changes constantly and the monitor loses the signal several times and than I only get some garbled colours like when you try to play an encrypted video or just a black screen. I think your graphics adapter is too new to be fullly supported by Knoppix 7.2.0. You could try cheatcodes like nodrm or nofb.

Threshold
01-27-2014, 09:02 PM
After starting Knoppix in the VirtualBox go to the menu of VirtualBox => Geräte => USB-Geräte (I think in english "Devices => USB devices") and select your ext3 usb drive. After a short time you'll see it within PCManFM and you can mount it with a mouse click.

Hello Werner P. Schulz thanks for the help.

I did attempt that too so your directions are correct but than i cannot see the drive anywhere.
When i select the hdd it gets disconnected in Windows (who wants to format it) and it is reconnected in VB.
I looked for it in the file manager that is on Knoppix desktop but cannot find it anywhere.
Is that PCManFM or where is this PCManFM located?

Also how do i mount the drive when i find it?

Thank you

Threshold
01-27-2014, 09:27 PM
I think your graphics adapter is too new to be fullly supported by Knoppix 7.2.0. You could try cheatcodes like nodrm or nofb.

Hello klaus2008 thanks for the help.

I doubt my PC is so advanced anyway these are my specs: http://prntscr.com/2m0h0n
Can you tell from this info if that's the case?

Otherwise can you point me in the right direction on these nodrm or nofb cheatcodes and how to use them?

Thank you.

Werner P. Schulz
01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
.. or where is this PCManFM located?You can find PCManFM within the panel at the bottom of the screen - the 2nd icon from left.

Have a look at Cheatcodes (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes).

Threshold
01-30-2014, 05:23 AM
I think your graphics adapter is too new to be fullly supported by Knoppix 7.2.0. You could try cheatcodes like nodrm or nofb.

Yes it worked thank you!

Of course problems didn't stop there since, once in Knoppix, it wouldn't let me mount my Windows partition citing an "unclean file system" and problems with the hibernation file despite I have hibernation and sleeping disabled.
This can be sorted disabling quick boot in bios and restarting the system (not shutting down and re-powering) if anyone ends in my same problems.

After starting Knoppix in the VirtualBox go to the menu of VirtualBox => Geräte => USB-Geräte (I think in english "Devices => USB devices") and select your ext3 usb drive. After a short time you'll see it within PCManFM and you can mount it with a mouse click.

Hi Werner P. Schulz,

Although I managed to make Knoppix work that solution is not the best to copy stuff off my ext hdd since it's very slow and cuts me off from my PC for hours on end.
I did try your suggestion in VirtualBox but the hdd never appeared (I waited 15 minutes or so) although I did get the Windows pop up that tells me it's
loaded in VirtualBox.

Any further step I might attempt?

Thank you.

Werner P. Schulz
01-30-2014, 10:25 AM
I did try your suggestion in VirtualBox but the hdd never appeared (I waited 15 minutes or so) although I did get the Windows pop up that tells me it's loaded in VirtualBox.Are you sure the usb device doesn't appear within the left side of PCManFM?
Please follow my suggestion once more and tell us the output of
blkidand
mountin the terminal.

Threshold
01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Are you sure the usb device doesn't appear within the left side of PCManFM?
Please follow my suggestion once more and tell us the output of
blkidand
mountin the terminal.

Hi Werner P. Schulz,

This is the result: http://prntscr.com/2nzja4

Any good news?

Thank you

Werner P. Schulz
01-30-2014, 10:09 PM
I cannot see in your example if you are working within VirtualBox or not. Please compare it with my example; here you can see my external drive "KNOPPIX" (/dev/sdb1) mounted as '/media/sdb1'.

Threshold
01-30-2014, 11:42 PM
I cannot see in your example if you are working within VirtualBox or not. Please compare it with my example; here you can see my external drive "KNOPPIX" (/dev/sdb1) mounted as '/media/sdb1'.

Hi Werner P. Schulz,

Yes I was working within VirtualBox when i took the screenshot.
It is all the same to your picture, I just miss the tick symbol next to the usb hdd but, as i wrote previously, Windows does tell me it disconnected the usb drive and connected it inside Virtualbox.

Maybe i created the virtual box with wrong parameters (I used the recommended ones in the walkthrough)?

Thank you.

Threshold
01-31-2014, 10:11 AM
So when I add the disk like you showed me in the picture it doesn't appear as I told you.
But if after a while I try to add it again this is the result:

http://prntscr.com/2o63r1
http://prntscr.com/2o63sc

I don't mind waiting but, if that is the problem, how long does it take?
The drive does nothing and doesn't spin so i doubt is that.

Thank you.

Werner P. Schulz
01-31-2014, 10:57 AM
I don't mind waiting but, if that is the problem, how long does it take?If all went well you can see the USB drive in the VirtualBox guest within about five seconds. I fear your external drive has a serious damage.

klaus2008
01-31-2014, 01:04 PM
@ Threshold:

I would suggest that you terminate your VirtualBox session and wait until Windows says your HDD has been connected. Then restart your VirtualBox session and reconnect your HDD to the VirtualBox.

Threshold
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
If all went well you can see the USB drive in the VirtualBox guest within about five seconds. I fear your external drive has a serious damage.

Well I really hope not :D
HDD Sentinel doesn't whow any problem.

I also tried to attach another hdd, brand new, but VirtualBox just hangs and I had to kill it and than reboot cause otherwise it won't start again.

This is really wrecking my head :)

Threshold
01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
@ Threshold:

I would suggest that you terminate your VirtualBox session and wait until Windows says your HDD has been connected. Then restart your VirtualBox session and reconnect your HDD to the VirtualBox.

Hello klaus2008 thank s for the help,

I will try your suggestion too and report back.

Thank you.

Werner P. Schulz
01-31-2014, 10:06 PM
I also tried to attach another hdd, brand new, but VirtualBox just hangs and I had to kill it and than reboot cause otherwise it won't start again.In this case you can also download and install VirtualBox once more; and before installing it test the download with the MD5SUMS or SHA256SUMS. You'll find the SUMS-files at the download side.

otropogo
02-02-2014, 11:30 PM
So I have finally managed to disable UEFI and get the option to boot from a dvd.

Unfortunately whatever I try to boot from (Knoppix, Ubuntu, Xubuntu) stops halfway.

The screen resolution changes constantly and the monitor loses the signal several times and than I only get some garbled colours like when you try to play an encrypted video or just a black screen.

For Knoppix I get the "loading sequence" announcement and the splash screen with the penguin but than it stops there.

Thank you.

I've had a similar problem with the video display, and have sometimes been able to resolve it by setting the screen resolution at boot time as per the help pages suggestions accessed with f2 and f3

otropogo
02-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I have two Dell laptops, both 64-bit machines. One laptop is
Windows 7, before uefi, and one is Windows 8.0 with uefi.

My Knoppix 7.2 LiveUSBs are made from Knoppix 7.2 LiveCDs,
which I believe all have only 32-bit kernels and 32-bit efi
programs.

The following link includes some comments by Klaus K in regard
to uefi booting Knoppix 7.2

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/mwjwmhAbcuDOuICojYbJ

The reference leads me to believe that using the OEM boot choices
on uefi machines assume that if it's a 64-bit machine, the boot up
process expects to find a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit bootloading
program on the non-Windows medium selected for an alternate uefi boot.

I'm not familiar with Knoppix's 7.2 LiveDVD, but I expect it
may well have a 64-bit kernel and boot loader options built-in,
whereas the LiveCD does not.

7.2 DVD definitely has a 64 bit kernel. In fact, it automatically boots with the 64 kernel on my 64 bit laptop, which is a problem since it boots with the German interface, which leaves me struggling even to reboot with my US keyboard. I have to remember to boot with the cheatcode:

knoppix64 lang-us

Threshold
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
@ Threshold:

Unfortunately that didn't work.

I also installed VirtualBox 4.3.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack but i still got no result with the specific hdd or any other one.

Threshold
02-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi Werner P. Schulz (http://knoppix.net/forum/member.php?47400-Werner-P-Schulz),

I'll do that too.

Can you also tell me what to select when I create a new virtual machine?
For example I picked Debian as OS for Knoppix: was that correct?

Thank you

Threshold
02-06-2014, 09:49 PM
I've had a similar problem with the video display, and have sometimes been able to resolve it by setting the screen resolution at boot time as per the help pages suggestions accessed with f2 and f3

Well I have managed to boot to lnoppix with the cheatcodes provided earlier on but I'll try this option too, thank you.

7.2 DVD definitely has a 64 bit kernel. In fact, it automatically boots with the 64 kernel on my 64 bit laptop, which is a problem since it boots with the German interface, which leaves me struggling even to reboot with my US keyboard. I have to remember to boot with the cheatcode:

knoppix64 lang-us

I read that but unfortunately it didn't work for me

Werner P. Schulz
02-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Can you also tell me what to select when I create a new virtual machine?
For example I picked Debian as OS for Knoppix: was that correct?Yes Knoppix is based on Debian. But it's a good idea to have enough RAM available for the virtual guest - 33 - 50% of the RAM within your host. My computer has 4 GB RAM. Therefore I use 2048 MB RAM available for the VirtualBox.

You can change this value everytime before starting the VirtualBox session.

otropogo
02-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Well I have managed to boot to lnoppix with the cheatcodes provided earlier on but I'll try this option too, thank you.

I read that but unfortunately it didn't work for me

You probably recognized my typo, but just in case, the cheatcode is lang=us

Threshold
02-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Yes Knoppix is based on Debian. But it's a good idea to have enough RAM available for the virtual guest - 33 - 50% of the RAM within your host. My computer has 4 GB RAM. Therefore I use 2048 MB RAM available for the VirtualBox.

You can change this value everytime before starting the VirtualBox session.

Hello Werner P. Schulz,

I have 4GB RAM too so I assigned your same amount but still no luck.
I really don't understand this.

Copying stuff via Knoppix works but is very slow and makes my only PC inaccessible for a long time.

I don't know what else to try.

Threshold
02-25-2014, 03:46 AM
You probably recognized my typo, but just in case, the cheatcode is lang=us
Aemh no I didn't lol
But thanks I'll use the code for my keyboard too since I have a similar problem.