PDA

View Full Version : knppix as a winxp ics client

marlinswin
06-22-2003, 04:30 AM
I am trying knoppix 3.2 cd on my laptop, and I am using my winxp box's ICS (the ICS worked fine with my laptop running winxp as a ICS client). When I ran netcardconfig on the laptop, a message promted after a few seconds:

Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 Operation failed.
Failed.

I then tried to connect the laptop directly to my cable modem. This time, the network is automaticly setup and I can access the internet. So, the problem seems to be between winxp ICS and knoppix. I did some digging in the previous posts and but could not find a solution. Could someone please advise on how to diagnose and fix?

Thanks much.

adamm
06-22-2003, 05:15 AM
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsclient_tcpip_manual.htm
This page shows how to setup ICS manually on a win98 computer, but it should be the same setup for linux when you run the netcardconfig.
Just enter the same IP address info.

I found this by typing in
windows ics linux
into google.

Hope this helps. :D

marlinswin
06-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that with netcardconfig, but the two machines still couldn't ping each other.

I also tried the following (from faqnetwork on setting up static ip):

"ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
"route" to check the routing table
"route add 192.168.0.25 eth0"
"route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0"
"route add default gw 192.168.0.10 eth0"
"route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo"

and I ran sudo /etc/init.d/network restart after these, but the two machine still couldn't ping each other.

Other suggestions?

RockMumbles
06-22-2003, 10:56 PM
I don't know if it's still there, but in days past in windows you would use the winipcfg command, and then from the drop down select your eth0 interface and see how it is set up for ics. Then do the same for linux.

HTH

--rock

Stephen
06-22-2003, 11:26 PM
I don't know if it's still there, but in days past in windows you would use the winipcfg command,
--rock
IIRC they changed the name to ipconfig.

catfish
06-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that with netcardconfig, but the two machines still couldn't ping each other.

I also tried the following (from faqnetwork on setting up static ip):

"ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
"route" to check the routing table
"route add 192.168.0.25 eth0"
"route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0"
"route add default gw 192.168.0.10 eth0"
"route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo"

and I ran sudo /etc/init.d/network restart after these, but the two machine still couldn't ping each other.

Other suggestions?
A couple of comments...
o You probably shouldn't restart the network after manually entering the configuration. I believe the manually entered commands modify the "in-memory" configuration tables and restarting the network will nuke the manual changes.
o The route table only needs to show 2 entries: the local network (192.168.0.0 and the default gw - it may also show and entry for the loopback interface).
o Start an ethereal network traffic capture (on the laptop running knoppix) then try ping (after manually configuring).
o In the commands you've shown: are you sure the default gw is .10? I would have expected .1 (it is .1 in win98 ics). You probably don't need to add .25 with route.

The fact that you can dhcp via the cable modem and not via ics suggests something else may be the trouble. Is there a hub or switch involved when using ics and is the cabling okay?

marlinswin
06-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Very helpful comments. Thanks a lot!

I did set default gw 192.168.0.1 (that command in my last post was copied from an faq, sorry for the confusion).

I have a hub between the laptop and the winxp box. The winxp box has two netcards, one connecting to the cable modem, the other connecting to the hub. The laptop also connects to the hub to share the internet access. This set up worked when my laptop ran winxp. Would the hub be causing the problem?

catfish
06-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Very helpful comments. Thanks a lot!

I did set default gw 192.168.0.1 (that command in my last post was copied from an faq, sorry for the confusion).

I have a hub between the laptop and the winxp box. The winxp box has two netcards, one connecting to the cable modem, the other connecting to the hub. The laptop also connects to the hub to share the internet access. This set up worked when my laptop ran winxp. Would the hub be causing the problem?

Hmmm... if the same h/w setup works when the laptop is booted to XP its not likely that the hub is the problem then. I do suggest running ethereal (K->Internet->Ethereal then Capture|Start) to see what is really happening on the network. windows machines are somewhat "chatty" on the network so you should see occasional packets. Try a ping (to 192.168.0.1) and you should see an ARP broadcast (request), an ARP response and some ICMP Echo Request and Replies.

One other config item to check is the nameserver. This is specified in /etc/resolv.conf. Assuming that the ics box is also the local nameserver

#echo "nameserver 192.168.0.1" >> /etc/resolv.conf
should add the entry if its missing.

marlinswin
06-24-2003, 04:21 AM
I have solved the problem! The problem was caused by winxp ics, which doesnot explicitly specify the ip address of the home netcard, 192.168.0.1. In case other people may find it useful, I summarize what I did in the following.

On the winxp ics server side:
Right click the home netcard > properties, CHECK "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click on properties > check "Use the following IP address" and input 192.168.0.1 as ip, and
255.255.255.0 as subnet mask, other fields are left blank.

On the knoppix client side:
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0
# echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf

It then worked on the knoppix machine!

By default, the winxp ics set the home netcard's ip implicitly, hence, the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry was not checked, but a windows client somehow knows it. I could see that after I input explicitly ip address for the home netcard, the knoppix ping immediately got responses.

A third machine running windows xp can still share the internet access after I made this change.

My thanks to all people who helped.