PDA

View Full Version : inspiron 8200 lockup when starting pcmcia

adamm
11-20-2002, 09:35 PM
I just received a new dell inspiron 8200 and tried to boot up to knoppix. Every time it boots it locks up on loading pcmcia.
I downloaded the latest version of Knoppix recently thinking that the new card services would fix the issue, but it still happens.

I can boot up the laptop to knoppix by typing in "knoppix nopcmcia" but I really would like to be able to use my orinoco gold card.

Has anyone else has this problem and know of a solution.

inspiron 8200
P4 1.8GHz
256MB RAM
30GIG HDD
I just got it about 2 weeks ago, so it has the latest hardware in it.

Thanks!

HidDEN MiNdS
11-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem with my Latitude.

If you don't need PCMCIA then you can disable it on the boot prompt. Just type "knoppix nopcmcia". It is the "nopcmcia" boot option that does it.

Regards

Daniel

adamm
11-25-2002, 04:20 PM
I really would like to use the pcmcia slots because i have a wireless network card.

My builtin network card works but it would still be nice to use the wifi.

makesomethingup
11-27-2002, 03:38 AM
I'm having the same prob. Check out http://linux-wlan.com/ and http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ for linux wireless drivers. I think you have to load a driver for your card and slot to be recognized. Unfortunately with Knoppix, that might mean installing on your hard drive with the command knoppix-hdinstall from the terminal window.

SmokinGunz
12-05-2002, 08:42 PM
To fix the Dell lockup on pcmcia you have to remaster the cd. Follow the guides that you can find on remastering, but before creating the ISO image, edit the /KNOPPIX/etc/pcmcia/config.opts and look for the line that says:

include port 0x100-0x4ff, etc etc and take out the 2 entries that say port 0x800-0x80f and port 0x816-0x8ff so that the line now reads:

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

remaster the cd and it should work just fine.

or you could just start knoppix up with the nopcmcia option then copy the config.opts from /KNOPPIX/etc/pcmcia/config.opts to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, edit the file making the changes, then run /etc/init.d/pcmcia start

adamm
12-06-2002, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll try this out first thing in the morning when i get to work and see how it works!

Thanks again.

Tornado Rex
12-10-2002, 05:33 AM
I did the thing Gunz suggested and it worked to load my wireless card. However I can't get it to find/connect/configure to my network via wireless card. By curiousity I tried loading Knoppix without an ethernet cable plugged in and plugged it in after Knoppix had loaded and that also did not load/connect/configure my network so I'm guessing when Knoppix is booting it loads and configs your network. What I'm wondering is how do I do this once I'm in Knoppix?

adamm
12-10-2002, 06:44 AM
The latest version of knoppix that came out took care of that nasty dell notebook problem.
No more workarounds!

Thanks to whoever suggested that it should be added that to the CD, and keep up the good work! :D