PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried SourceMage Linux yet?

rickenbacherus
06-22-2003, 04:21 PM
In a word- WOW! Source Mage is incredible. Not for your first time Linux user for sure and still beta but oh yeah it rocks! Check it out here:

SourceMage (http://www.sourcemage.org)

You use the Sorcery Linux way of installing/uninsstalling "spells" with "cast" and "dispel". This is one fast highly customizable Linux distro. Much easier than Gentoo to install too.

Doc
06-25-2003, 12:53 AM
OK you got my attention, what's the deal? Why you excited :D

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 01:10 AM
OK you got my attention, what's the deal? Why you excited :D

Well.........a few of the devs are always on IRC irc.freenode.net #sourcemage and very willing to help out. I had a few glitches during the install and I would have spent hourse looking for answers but they got me hooked up right away. To install an app you do cast -r -c <name of spell> and it downloads, configures and installes the app. It's a very nice way of resolving those pain in the arse dependency problems. Getting a new kernel is easy too. cast -r -c linux will get you the list of available kernels directly from kernel.org and allow you to choose which (if any) patches you'd like applied. It dl's the kernel to /usr/src unpacks it, brings up menuconfig and builds the kernel. It even installs the kernel- you just need to edit LILO (if you use that sort of thing). It's really a slick way to get things done AND it's a Debian based distro. If you like the idea of a really fast distro taht is custom built for your box but don't like the idea of spending days building Gentoo Sourcemage is the way to go IMHO.

Doc
06-25-2003, 01:43 AM
Again, thanks for the reply, but I still reckom Fender's are better than Rickenbakers!!

You know I'm kidding don't ya!

PS When you say "extremely fast", are you saying it's quicker than optimising a Debian distro?

PPS 2 weeks ago I didn't know what CP meant!!!! Talk about teaching an old dog new tricks :D

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Again, thanks for the reply, but I still reckom Fender's are better than Rickenbakers!!

You know I'm kidding don't ya!

You're probably the first to notice the reference in my username to a guitar.

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 06:02 AM
Check this feature out:

Distributed Compiling which allows you to setup distributed compiling by specifying which volunteer computers will be helping with the compiling process.

The next time you're recompiling gcc think about distributed compiling! I haven't even tried to use this yet tho. To bust casting spells! Also- testing out a 2.5.70 kernel on SourceMage.

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 06:23 AM
PS When you say "extremely fast", are you saying it's quicker than optimising a Debian distro?

Hmmmmm- probably a subjective opinion. That would take some benchmarking I suppose but it has Debain kernels beat hands down.