PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot from cd probably missing something

abk4523
06-03-2014, 07:55 PM
I downloaded Knoppix 7.20 EN and burned it to cd but when I boot from the drive, the computer boots off my notebook's hdd. I disabled UEFI and manually selected the cd (usb) but still goes to Windows 7, which is on my drive. The md5 checked out and I tried 2 different cd drives. I tried an earlier version of Knoppix with the same results. Any ideas?

Werner P. Schulz
06-04-2014, 11:16 AM
The md5 checked out and I tried 2 different cd drivesWhat do you mean by this? Doesn't you get a value by md5sum-test or is the value always wrong?

First check the md5sum of your download; second burn the DVD with lowest possible speed, close all the other programs and use only DVD of high quality.

abk4523
06-04-2014, 03:27 PM
What do you mean by this? Doesn't you get a value by md5sum-test or is the value always wrong?

First check the md5sum of your download; second burn the DVD with lowest possible speed, close all the other programs and use only DVD of high quality.

I ran md5sum on a fedora drive and compared the value generated with the value in the md5 file from the download page, they are identical. I tried burning at a slower speed and am still unable to boot to knoppix. As for closing all programs, I do a cold boot, so nothing should be open.

Werner P. Schulz
06-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Please test the burned DVD using the cheatcode (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Cheatcodes_and_hints)
knoppix testcdWait some minutes until you get an error message or the boot process proceeds