PDA

View Full Version : Install Knoppix 7.2 and GRUB To Second Drive Only

MaxThrust
06-09-2014, 08:51 PM
I really must be doing something wrong, since Grub is just freaking out, no matter what. What I am trying to do is do an install to HD1 / SDB, VS. HD0 / SDA, so I can go into the BIOS boot, select the second HD (in my case Sata3, if that is important).

Once I have KNoppix and Grub installed on the HD, I reconnect my Windows HD, boot to the HD that has Knoppix installed, and edit the Grub stuff. the default settings that I change is Root (hd0,1) -> Root (hd1,1), and change the /dev/sda1 -> /dev/sdb1

then I boot, and I keep getting the "unknown partition type", from the kernel panic, so it goes out to lunch.

I know when you edit Grub that way it is kind of debug/test setting that do not stick, except for that one time / boot. But those setting should work, when I do a find stage1, it does return the hd1,1

is there a way to have Knoppix boot to the drive from the BIOS, I want two independent setups that are bootable without Grub being on the "first" hd's mbr.

Thanks,

Dave

MaxThrust
06-09-2014, 11:31 PM
OK, i think the install is now happy, and see where I went wrong. I need to keep "root (hd0,1)" rather than changing it to (hd1,1). When i was getting the hd1,1 from "find" it was from the CD boot, which mounts both drives. Once I ran it from the Grub prompt from the HD boot, it came back as 0,1. So it made sense, that the second drive becomes 0, when booting from BIOS.Once I changed the fstab and menu.lst from sda to sdb, the world was happy =).now let's see if everything is happy after the updates.Thanks,Dave