PDA

View Full Version : layout switching not working in knoppix 7.2 - this becomes a tradition

ialtaparmakov
06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Again i have problems with layout switching - this time in KNOPPIX 7.2
i used menu preferences>KDE system settings > input devices > keyboard > layouts
here i added new layout configure layouts is checked ,show layout indicator is checked
in advanced configure keyboard options is checked
in key(s) to change layout "left alt + left shift"is checked
apply is pressed
AND ...
No layout indicator is shown and pressing left alt + left shift does not change the layout
setxkbmap works but sets layout for the correct language but different from that i set in KDE system settings

i look back and i see this problem is here since version 6.2 and is not fixed yet!
So what it turns out ? KNOOPIX does not support keyboard layout switching ?
Can someone help me to make knoppix 7.2 switching layouts from GUI?
Thanks
Best regards

Werner P. Schulz
06-18-2014, 09:37 PM
KDE system settings are for the KDE and not the LXDE desktop. Please try
Knoppix => Chose Restart KNOPPIX Desktop => kde => [OK]
Do your settings and you'll see the keyboard layout indicator and also the shortcut for switching layout will work.

ialtaparmakov
06-18-2014, 10:12 PM
in version 6 this was working for lxde. and why kde system settings is mentioned in preferences ? it not working for lxde. and there is no lxde system settings. Isn`t it strange ?
there was some haiku error messages in internet
one of them was: yesterday it was working , today it does not working, windows goes this way...
but seems linux too , and it goes much further...

so what to do to have keyboard layout switching in lxde gui ?

thanks
Best rgards

Werner P. Schulz
06-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Open (as root) the file '/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart' and append

@setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle us,de
Do also "Right-click on the panel => Add / Remove Panel Items => Add => Keyboard Layout Switcher"

Restart the LXDE session. In this example you can use the icon within the panel or [Alt Shift] to toggle. Instead of "us,de" use the keyboard settings you would prefer.

ialtaparmakov
06-19-2014, 09:07 PM

Do also "Right-click on the panel => Add / Remove Panel Items => Add => Keyboard Layout Switcher"

Restart the LXDE session. In this example you can use the icon within the panel or [Alt Shift] to toggle. Instead of "us,de" use the keyboard settings you would prefer.

Yes! This works!:D

Thanks

Best regards

shapoor
06-27-2016, 12:18 PM
how to open as root?I tried "knoppix->Root Shell" and typed " /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart", but encountered "Permission denied".Now what i have to do?Thanks.

shapoor
06-27-2016, 12:27 PM
hi, how to open "autostart", as root.I tried "Knoppix->Root Shell" and typed "/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart" and encountered "Permission Denied".Know what I have to do?Thanks.

shapoor
06-27-2016, 12:57 PM

Hi,
I tried to open file as root in the following way:
"Knoppix->Root Shell" and tried the command "/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart", but encountered the error, "permission denied".
what I have to do?
Thanks