PDA

View Full Version : Strange Konqueror - Kppp issues

ocilent1
06-23-2003, 04:18 AM
OK, firstly, I have knoppix 3.2-2003-05-20
I installed it on a spare partition on my hdd and all went well. I configured the system to how I like it and was happy.... until I went online using kppp......

It seems that when I connect to the net using kppp, konqueror starts to behave very strangely. Under the webbrowsing profile, it will behave just normally, but if I use the filebrowsing profile it will take approx 3-4 minutes to start-up and appear on my desktop. When I am not connected to the net, it will appear in 1-3 seconds when after starting. The same also happens with KDE Control Center.

Can't seem to find a solution and have never seen anything like this before using kde with other distros.... Any ideas anyone??

TheCyberDude
06-24-2003, 06:47 AM
I have same distro of Knoppix ...,

First use webbrowsing profile, that's whats it meant for - not filebrowsing
profile --> that's for file browsing!

Second for filebrowsing- use File Manager (Super User Mode)

Third, After starting Konqueror and Control Center Start - follow this procedure.

Start up - close Konqueror and Control Center, launch Control Center >KDE Components>Sessions Manager>Check Start with an empty session>Click Apply Button>Close Control Center.

Re-Boot and they won't appear again!!!

ocilent1
06-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Errrr, thanks but you obviously didn't ubderstand my question (or problem)....

I am not using the konq filebrowsing profile to actually browse the web, I use it to mange files etc on my local hardrive!!!! It's just that when I am connected to the web and I want to browse my files on my hard drive (with the filebrowsing profile) I have to wait 4 mins for konqueror to pop up on my screen. This is obviously very annoying...

I have further discoverd that it's not kppp that causes the issue, but when I make and pppd connection. For example, the problem still occurs when connect using pon.

It seems that when a network connection is made, KDE is waiting on something..... As long as there is no network connection (ie I do not have a pppd connection) I have no problem.

I really want ot use Knoppix, but these hassels are starting to turn me off.. I have updated to the lastest kde 3.1.2 packages and this has not helped me.... Maybe some knoppix specific network configs are causing me grief!!!

fingers99
06-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Do you get the same problem using pon to make the connection?

How about if you use Mozilla on the Internet and Konq on the files?

No solution here, but it might help find the problem!

ocilent1
06-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Yep, I got the same problem when using pon to connect.

As I stated beforehand, browsing the web using konqueror webprofile is not a problem, it's when I try to browse my files on my local hard drive with konqueror filebrowsing profile and I have a pppd connection.

I'll summarise:

1) When connected to the net using a pppd connection:
- Konqueror in webprofile works normally
- Konqueror in filebrowsing profile takes approx 4 mins to appear on my screen after launching it.

2) When there is no pppd connection
- Konqueror in webprofile works normally
- Konqueror in filebrowsing profile works normally, (loads in about 1-2 secs)

I have also noticed that when establishing a pppd connection before starting X and loading KDE, KDE will takes about 4-5 mins to start. (Unlike the normal 15-20 secs it takes when there is no pppd connection)

It looks like KDE is trying to poll for something when there is a network connection established. Just wish I could figure out what....