PDA

View Full Version : Question - install software from newer Knoppix image.

newiaqua
06-23-2003, 01:14 PM
How to install new openoffice from newer Knoppix image without erasing the previous Knoppix installation? :?:

todsr1
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
After a knoppix hdd install you've essentially got a Debian system. To update the software to a newer openoffice.org you want use the Debian update package apt-get with the following (as a single) line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file

deb http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice/ woody main contrib

todsr1
06-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Opps. You probably want to substitute unstable for woody in that...

newiaqua
06-23-2003, 03:05 PM
I have new Knoppix image on CD and I want to install specific package over it.
Like openoffice - > some kind of upgrade I want to do.

todsr1
06-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Oh okay. Well, you just have to download the complete new image and burn a new CD; you can't cut and paste individual components.

newiaqua
06-23-2003, 03:40 PM
It's stupid just for 1 component to burn 1 CD.
Maybe I need to break into the CD-image and get the package from there.

RockMumbles
06-23-2003, 05:02 PM
The problem is that the packages are installed on the cd, basically the cd is a compressed image of a running installed system configured to run from the cd instead of a hard drive.

You can do what you are talking about, but it may be risky, you may end up in worse shape than you are now.

Anyway what I would do to get the pieces of a package from a cd to a hd install is boot to the cd and mount your hd as read/write (you'll need to be root to do this process) then you need the full name of the package you are interested in, and use the following command:
dpkg -L package-name
of course substitute the proper package name for package-name, then copy each of the files listed from your cd to the proper location on your hard drive, also beware that you may have to do this for several packages because of dependency issues.

Why not just apt-get a newer standard debian version of openoffice instead of using the customized knoppix version?

HTH

--rock

newiaqua
05-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Here in Bulgaria, I am paying for internet traffic and that is the reason why I am not downloading whole packages...;)