PDA

View Full Version : installed on usb but only shows as 4gb?

qwertyjjj
10-11-2014, 10:30 PM
I installed knoppix on a 32gb usb stick and I know want to install some other software but it says I only have 1gb free.
How can I increase the size of knoppix to the full 32gb?

Werner P. Schulz
10-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Which install method (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation) has you used and which Knoppix version?

qwertyjjj
10-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Which install method (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation) has you used and which Knoppix version?

I used the pendrive linux exe (the universal usb installer) and the latest version from the knoppix website 7.something.

Werner P. Schulz
10-13-2014, 07:18 AM
In this case it's a problem of Pendrive, not of Knoppix.

I would suggest to use the Knoppix methods (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#Flash_disk_instal l).

The size of the overlay (file or partition) depends on what you want to store of personal Linux stuff - configuration files, additional installed tools and so on. The remainig part within the FAT32 partition you can also use under Windows. I recommend to create a new folder in the directory 'mnt-system' and call it for example "privat_Windows".

qwertyjjj
10-13-2014, 03:35 PM
In this case it's a problem of Pendrive, not of Knoppix.

I would suggest to use the Knoppix methods (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#Flash_disk_instal l).

The size of the overlay (file or partition) depends on what you want to store of personal Linux stuff - configuration files, additional installed tools and so on. The remainig part within the FAT32 partition you can also use under Windows. I recommend to create a new folder in the directory 'mnt-system' and call it for example "privat_Windows".

I don't use Windows much anymore. I need the space to install a game.
There must be a way to increase the size from what it is now?
I alreday increased the partition size using gparted but knoppix still only recognizes 4gb.

10-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi. 4gb is the maximum size for the persistent file or partition. Also, if you're trying to use the usb stick as a mass media storage while knoppix is running from that same drive, you just can't. It is sort of "locked" while the operating system is running.

qwertyjjj
10-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Hi. 4gb is the maximum size for the persistent file or partition. Also, if you're trying to use the usb stick as a mass media storage while knoppix is running from that same drive, you just can't. It is sort of "locked" while the operating system is running.

Isn't it possible on ubuntu?
What stops me from running the game off the usb?

Werner P. Schulz
10-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi. 4gb is the maximum size for the persistent file or partition.This isn't quite right. 4GB is the maximum for a single file within FAT32 and therefore the limit for the persistent memory file. But the remaining part of the 1st and single FAT32 partition (in case of flash disk install with overlay file) you can use otherwise - also with a 32GB stick.

In case of flash disk install with overlay partition you can use all the space of the 2nd ReiserFS partition without size limitation.
Also, if you're trying to use the usb stick as a mass media storage while knoppix is running from that same drive, you just can't. It is sort of "locked" while the operating system is running.What do you mean by this? Knoppix can use all the free space within FAT32 or within ReiserFS as a storage.

But please use the Knoppix install methods to prevent problems, not Pendrive, USB Creator and so on.

qwertyjjj
10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
This isn't quite right. 4GB is the maximum for a single file within FAT32 and therefore the limit for the persistent memory file. But the remaining part of the 1st and single FAT32 partition (in case of flash disk install with overlay file) you can use otherwise - also with a 32GB stick.

In case of flash disk install with overlay partition you can use all the space of the 2nd ReiserFS partition without size limitation.What do you mean by this? Knoppix can use all the free space within FAT32 or within ReiserFS as a storage.

But please use the Knoppix install methods to prevent problems, not Pendrive, USB Creator and so on.

It uses the knoppix iso.
So, how do I increase the space or use a separate partition to store my game?

Werner P. Schulz
10-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Your postings are strange and without reference to the answers you have got.

I close the thread.