PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix and keeping persistence settings?

jvfc678
10-18-2014, 09:26 PM
I just put up Knoppix with persistence and now i want to install it. The question is all of my settings from the persistence will be there when i install or it will be a fresh install? If its a fresh install is there any way to bring back the stuff from the persistence to the install? And obiviusly making a backup of the persistence image

philo
10-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Whether it is an IMG file (<= 4GB) or an REISERFS partition, you must do a backup to save your settings. Only the method is different.

For the procedure with REISERFS, there is a nice script written by Werner Schulz. Just do a search in this forum.

For the IMG, just copy it elsewhere in your computer and bring it back later.

The option to preserve existing 'home' and (maybe) 'etc' folders while doing a new install does not seem to work well.

Werner P. Schulz
10-20-2014, 04:31 PM
For the procedure with REISERFS, there is a nice script written by Werner Schulz. Just do a search in this forum.The script (http://www.wp-schulz.de/summary/summary-backup.html) not only work for overlay partition (ReiserFS) but also for image file.

jvfc678
10-20-2014, 09:22 PM
so if i install(on a hd for example) its just an img just like persistence? If i understand it right i just have to copy it and paste it on the same place, if it is please tell me where i can put up my img after when it is installed thell me the exact place

jvfc678
10-20-2014, 09:23 PM
or I will have to use the script provided by Werner?

Werner P. Schulz
10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
First of all, Knoppix isn't designed for HD installation; HD install is for special situations - for example remaster the OS.

You cannot use the script within a "HD install", only with "Flash disk install".
.. tell me where i can put up my img after when it is installed thell me the exact placeWhich kind of overlay do you have - overlay file or partition?