PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 7.42 toram issue

user16
10-29-2014, 02:44 AM
Hi, is it me or someone else having same problem? The command "knoppix toram" on booting worked well with previous versions of knoppix. However, can't seem to load to RAM using this command on knoppix 7.42. Can someone pls help resolve this issue?

Harry Kuhman
10-29-2014, 06:25 AM
You might want to provide a little more detail, including how much RAM you have. Check if those old version that worked with the toram option were CDs or DVDs. If DVDs, do they work now? And try running the memtest boot option (that's "memtest" not "knoppix memtest"). Can't test it for you myself, I don't have enough RAM.

user16
10-29-2014, 11:04 AM
I have 2gb RAM on each of my 2 laptops tested, and 4gb on desktop (all 32-bit machines). The old versions were CDs. The latest 7.42 version I downloaded is the DVD iso (approx 4GB) - seems to have trouble with loading image when I tried "toram" with all 3 machines (2 laptops and the desktop)

Harry Kuhman
10-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Well, duh! Think about how large the CD file is and how large the DVD image is. And even with your 4 gig system (same size as my desktop), understand that you have to have enough space in RAM to hold the entire image as well as space to actually run Linux. (Linux must be already running when the copy to memory occurs.)