PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft fonts question

Tortoise
06-23-2003, 08:14 PM
I notice that MS has withdrawn the free fonts they used to have on the web.

1. I have a licensed copy of Win2000. Is it legal for me to use the fonts bundled with it on my Linux installation on the same machine?
2. If so, how do I import them - when I point confifont at the fat32 partition with the MS fonts in it, it doesn't see them. When I copy them to an ext32 partition, they are still not visible.
3. What are the best free alternatives?

Thanks!

fingers99
06-23-2003, 09:10 PM
They're still around, but M$ have made them harder to find. Do a google for

ttf

and chances are they'll show up.

Apropos your fonts. As far as I know, what you suggest is legal. As root, make a ditectory:

mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype

Copy them there. You only need the files with ttf extensions.

As root (easiest to do this graphically) find the font manager in Kde (I think it's in the Control Centre). Just point it at /usr/share/fonts/

and that's pretty much it.

There are a shedload of ttf fonts useful for decorative stuff out there -- much nicer (and more fun) than the M$ stuff.

Stephen
06-23-2003, 11:43 PM
I notice that MS has withdrawn the free fonts they used to have on the web.

1. I have a licensed copy of Win2000. Is it legal for me to use the fonts bundled with it on my Linux installation on the same machine?
2. If so, how do I import them - when I point confifont at the fat32 partition with the MS fonts in it, it doesn't see them. When I copy them to an ext32 partition, they are still not visible.
3. What are the best free alternatives?

Thanks!

apt-get install msttcorefonts will get the fonts you want and you may want to check this (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2755&highlight=) thread.

Tortoise
06-24-2003, 01:14 AM
Thank you! That's pretty cool.

fingers99
06-24-2003, 06:06 AM
For the rest of the ttf stuff see here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2909#13705

Now, that's even cooler! :wink: