PDA

View Full Version : what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no-no

stefan_isaacs
06-23-2003, 08:19 PM
I've just learned (to my great dismay) that my SMC Ultra NIC won't
work well with Knoppix (or perhaps at all). In order to save myself needless further grief :oops: I've decided to buy a new NIC - preferably
a wireless PCI.

Can anyone tell me if there is a first-choice card that is guaranteed to
work well with Knoppix? (Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).

thanks,
Stefan

jdiercks
06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Not a guarantee, but I've had reasonably good results with my Lucent/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card, including support for WEP encryption via iwconfig.

crowfoot
06-23-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm running an older Orinoco Lucent card. It works fine, but requires a

> iwconfig eth0 essid XXX

and unplugging the card before it'll take off. The menu sequence does not seem to work for this card.

Otherwise it's wonderful!

awolber
06-24-2003, 01:08 AM
I would recommend the NetGear MA311 PCI card if you're looking for wireless PCI. That has worked well for me -- and is auto-recognized by Knoppix. Also is recognized by Red Hat 9 with a little bit of work... SuSE 8.2 recognizes automatically as well.

Hope that helps!

Stephen
06-24-2003, 06:56 AM
(Do we have a supported hardware list somewhere??).

thanks,
Stefan

A good place to start is the The Linux Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html) and as always Google Linux (http://www.google.com/linux) .

MorskNorsk
06-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Another convenient place is to look in the kernel config after you cd to /usr/src/linux and do make xconfig. Don't forget mailinglists too.

stefan_isaacs
06-28-2003, 07:02 AM
I'm afraid something like the Linux Documentation Project or googling Linux is less than useful. I have a very common card (SMC Ultra ISA), supported by nearly every flavour of Linux as far as I can tell, that is not supported by Knoppix.

The Linux Doc Project just lets me know which cards are supported under _a_ variant of Linux - not which variant.

What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?

Other people seem to think there is a use for this...

thanks, S.

Stephen
06-28-2003, 07:36 AM
What I'm looking for is a specific listing of what cards/configurations Knoppix supports. Surely that wouldn't be too difficult to have a list for somewere?

There is one here (http://knoppixfr.tuxfamily.org/?page=hardware) more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.

stefan_isaacs
06-29-2003, 02:53 AM
Thanks.. this site is a great resource and much more of what I was
looking for. I will, of course, contribute my data to it as well.

cheers,
Stefan

aay
06-29-2003, 04:28 AM
There is one here (http://knoppixfr.tuxfamily.org/?page=hardware) more of a work in progress really but you have to start somewhere.

Wow this list has really come along. When it first started I wondered if it would get enough entries to be useful, but it clearly has. I feel guilty for not contributing! I will now.

BTW, I also second other's choice of the Orioco Gold card. This has to be the best supported wireless card availble for linux. It has always worked perfectly. I have had problems with both Netgear and Dlink pci cards. I just got a Linksys wireless usb adapter (WUSB12) and after following the tips here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2920#15355) it works fine (except for encryption which I haven't gotten working yet).

H2O_Goalie
08-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Cisco 350

kaplanfx
08-18-2003, 02:09 AM
Linksys WMP11 works fine, its a pci linksys card for desktop, knoppix autodetects and dhcp's

-Kaplan

CoolSilver
08-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Linksys WPC54G Cards are not recognized when booting or by the config.
:? I was hoping it would

nlang
08-26-2003, 06:46 PM
I have the Microsoft MN520 wireless card, and I'm just curious if anyone here has had any problems in general with getting knoppix to boot with their wireless card. I'm not really sure what to try, I've looked though the boot codes, but didn't find anything espcially usefull.

anyway any hints, even if its a "you might want to try this I'm not sure it'll work", idea that'd be great!

Nick

aay
08-26-2003, 07:36 PM
I have the Microsoft MN520 wireless card, and I'm just curious if anyone here has had any problems in general with getting knoppix to boot with their wireless card. I'm not really sure what to try, I've looked though the boot codes, but didn't find anything espcially usefull.

anyway any hints, even if its a "you might want to try this I'm not sure it'll work", idea that'd be great!

Nick

Well I have no idea if your card is supported or was detected, but have you tried running wlcardconfig? Run that from a shell. Often I have to remove and reinsert my card (pcmcia) before running wlcardconfig. Hope that helps.

nlang
08-26-2003, 08:40 PM
Well I have no idea if your card is supported or was detected

Well I'll tell you what I get durring the boot up.
(this is for pcmica slot)

cardmgr[58]: starting version 3.2.2
cardmgr[58]: socket 0: Microsoft Notebook Adapter MN-520
cardmgr[58]: executing: 'modprobe prisim2-cs'

and then it freezes

so I don't even get a chance to try any config commands

Nick

nlang
08-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Ok, I found this cool project online they are dedicated to wireless cards in Linux.

But I'm having trouble understanding the README and how to install. I'm guessing I need to configure my kernal...and I've never done any kernal configurations.

so if someone could read it and translate it into newbie terms that'd be great!!

ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/README

thanks
Nick

jngeorge
12-31-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm somewhat new to Knoppix 802.11b networking, however I do have extensive Windows wireless experience. I purchased the Cisco Aironet 350 on Ebay for $60 brand new still in a sealed box. After receiving the wireless card I was still unable to detect my wireless router. Turns out I had to downgrade the firmware on the actual card. Lucky for me, Cisco makes this task very easy. Assuming your laptop has Windows on it, you'll have to download the Radio Firmware ver 4.25.30 and upload the older firmware to your card via the Cisco ACU utility that comes with your card. It's super easy and shortly after a reboot to Knoppix my wireless card was functioning. I still have problems getting on WEP enabled networks. Knoppix doesn't have the bubble that displays all available networks like Windows XP does. So far, the only network I've been able to get on is someone's in my neighborhood since my home wifi router is 128bit WEP enabled. Is there a utility in Knoppix that will display broadcasted SSIDs? Also, even though I can access non-secured wifi networks, I still cannot get airsnort to work. Can anyone fill me in on how to configure Airsnort with the Cisco Aironet 350? Anyinput or questions for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

j.drake
06-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Well I have no idea if your card is supported or was detected

Well I'll tell you what I get durring the boot up.
(this is for pcmica slot)

cardmgr[58]: starting version 3.2.2
cardmgr[58]: socket 0: Microsoft Notebook Adapter MN-520
cardmgr[58]: executing: 'modprobe prisim2-cs'

and then it freezes

so I don't even get a chance to try any config commands

Nick

Nick, I hope you figured it out, because I bought the same card. My computer boots around it, but when the modprobe looks for prism2_cs, I get a FATAL message, saying that module prism2_cs is not found, and exits with a status 1. Then it says something about module /lib/modules/2.6.6/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o not available, and bind prism2_cs to socket 1 failed : invalid argument.

I found one reason. see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51055#51055

I tried d/l-ing the most recent linux-wlan-ng tarball, and did my best to follow this advice w/r/t installation and configuration:

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm

Not specific to debian or knoppix, but it did say that the configuration was successful.

Oh, I'm trying to set up the Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA adapter on a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA47 notebook, running Knoppix 2004-05-17 3.4, 2.6 kernel, live CD with persistent home and saved config both on a USB thumbdrive.

In another thread, paradocs advised nick to put a script in the /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart directory, but I couldn't find such a beast.

I'm new to wlan - I don't even have a base station, but I wanted to have wlan access on vacation at various hotspots.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. I guess I'm at least lucky that things aren't locking. TIA,

JD

doffen2000
04-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi! i'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes 2 linux, but i have taken interrest in it and want to learn! but i get no internett connection... what i'm trying to say is that knoppix std does not find my wireless network card its just called: "SMC Wireless PCI Card Turbo 802.11g 108Mbps" i really dont want to spend money on a new one... :? and just wondered if there is any way I can make it work on knoppix..? or any other linux based OS? PLease help me!

PS: Im not a total newbie in computers generally... just linux. :wink:

skrall
05-10-2006, 04:55 AM
I have the Netgear WG511 (Made in Taiwan) and this works most of the time. It is a Prism GT chipset. The WG511 made in China does not work even though "lspci" indicates that the chipset is also Prisim GT.
My friend has the Netgear WG511U and he says it works great. I believe it is an Atheros chipset.
Finding a G wireless card that works reliably has been a major challenge. Most of the web sites list the old B only cards.

SKrall