PDA

View Full Version : Can connect to ISP but not ping any host

annamerikin
06-23-2003, 08:20 PM
except the box I am connected to. This is true with KPPP and with pon. Each has been configured independently. After several attempts, I replaced the /etc/resolv.conflict file with one from a working RH installaation, but no go.

I reset all the timeouts to maxima. PPPStatus reports "stalls" without end except when pinging the ISP box I am connected to. No other IP traffic is sent.

The same ISP, number and modem work fine under Windows, and works fine under RH-6.2 on my old box, so the prob is neither with my hardware nor with the ISP.

Can someone shed some light on this prob? What am I overlooking? Or is Knoppix 060603 (3.2) flawed in some way? Should I try another build?

adamm
06-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Try this
edit your /etc/resolv.conf file

pico /etc/resolv.conf

only have typed in

nameserver 4.2.2.2
this is a DNS server for qwest i believe
then save the file (ctrl+X)
now try to ping yahoo.com and see if it works

annamerikin
06-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Did it. No change in behavior.

Try this
edit your /etc/resolv.conf file

pico /etc/resolv.conf

only have typed in

nameserver 4.2.2.2
this is a DNS server for qwest i believe
then save the file (ctrl+X)
now try to ping yahoo.com and see if it works

adamm
06-23-2003, 08:55 PM
dial up to the internet and type in

route -n
and patse the output here

under "Flags" you should have one that reads UG which is your default gateway, this should be present or you won't be able to get to the internet

annamerikin
06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
dial up to the internet and type in

route -n
and patse the output here

under "Flags" you should have one that reads UG which is your default gateway, this should be present or you won't be able to get to the internet

Can't paste -- can't connect to the internet I am on my old box (RH-6.2). The two are not yet connected., so I have to type in what's on the other monitor. Hope I get it right!

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

66.81.235.197 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.254 .0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Hope that helps.

However, in playing with wvdial ( a common between Knoppix and Red Hat -- RP3 is just a frontend for wvdial) I discovered what my feeling was all along: the password is not being forwarded correctly.

When invoking wvdial (after setting up /etc/wvdial.conf with wvdialconf) I get a failure with the message that "no valid passowrd" was found. It is in /etc/wvdial in plain sight and plain text.

What else leads me to suspect a password-forwarding problem is that although I can connect with XISP under RedHat using PAP/CHAP, RH's wvdial demands I connect with CHAP, which fails with a SIGHUP in Knoppix. I can get a pseudo connection with KPPP using PAP/CHAP under Knoppix' KPPP or pon apparently, but using CHAP gives a hangup to my password in both, although only wvdial warns me of not finding a password.

Stumps me.

Or I am not understanding something basic.

annamerikin
06-26-2003, 04:28 AM
The Subject says it all. Although I did a MD5 sum check on the ISO I downloaded, I copied the ISO from one hard disk to another, then installed the target hard disk on a new box, burned the ISO, but didn't notice a filesize mismatch between the target ISO and the source. 16+ MB are missing! Damn Windows!

But I digress. This was not Knoppix' problem. It was all mine.