PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 7.5 at CeBIT 2015

utu
03-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Knoppix 7.5 may be in the works.

See for example this clue in the March 2015 CeBIT promotion.
Hopefully, there might be English lectures alternating with
the German, if the past is any guide.

ICPUG
03-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Knoppix 7.5, Linux Magazine Edition, released in conjunction with the CeBIT 2015 Exhibition, can be found on the April Edition (No. 173) of the UK version of Linux Magazine.

Before anyone starts jumping up and down demanding the public edition should be available for download it is as well to remember that past experience is that the .1 public edition does not usually appear till later, (maybe as late as September). The benefit of the wait is you get some bugs fixed. Klaus Knopper releases when he is ready.

ruymbeke
05-09-2015, 03:52 AM
From: https://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2015/05/msg00001.html

Hello Klaus,
Thank you very much for the new Knoppix 7.5.0 and I hope you and your family are doing well.
Could you please provide the Linux Kernel 64 bits header files of Knoppix 7.5.0 ?
Only the 32 bits Linux Kernel header files are included in your DVD and these header files
are required to compile 64 bits Kernel modules.

Could you please also enable by default the "composite" (3D) extension for the VMware video driver ?
3D is currently disabled for VMware by the line echo "export NOCOMPOSITE=1" >/tmp/hwsetup.env
in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file (HW auto-detection). 3D can be forced by using the "3d" kernel
cheatcode but as far as I can tell 3D rendering works well with Knoppix 7.4.2 and 7.5.0 and the latest
VMware Workstation 11.1.0. It probably also works well on older versions of VMware. It works with
and without the VMware tools installed and also under various versions of the Harware compatibility.
Most of the VMware drivers are now included in the main stream Kernel tree and MESA-DRI is already
included within Knoppix 7.4.2 and 7.5.0. So it would be better now to enable 3D by default for VMware
Knoppix guests knowing that the "no3d" kernel cheatcode can still be used.

As always, thank you so much for all these years of great development !
Best Regards,
Gilles

============================================
=== Work around for the 64 bits Linux kernel headers: ===
============================================

Please follow the below instructions to recompile the 64 bits Linux kernel used by Knoppix (7.5.0)
and as a side effect have the Linux Kernel headers files available to compile extra modules such as
the vmhgfs VMware kernel module installed by the VMware tools to enable file sharing between
the Knoppix guest and the host operating system.

#!/bin/sh
pushd /usr/src
tar -xvjpf linux-source-3.18.6.tar.bz2
mv linux-source-3.18.6 linux-source-3.18.6-64
cd linux-source-3.18.6-64
cp /boot/config-3.18.6-64 .config
make -j8 EXTRAVERSION=-64 CROSS_COMPILE= all
ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-3.18.6-64 /lib/modules/3.18.6-64/build
popd

PS: For some reason the Linux Kernel header generation below did not work for me: a lot of necessary data is missing.
make -j8 EXTRAVERSION=-64 CROSS_COMPILE= INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr/src/linux-headers-3.18.6-64 headers_install
Is there a better way to generate the Linux Kernel headers ? What is the method used by Klaus to generate them on the DVD ?

FYI: Knoppix 7.5.0 as a VMware 11.1.0 virtual machine guest with 3D & optional persistence:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB-exe-grldr-from-boot-ini%29?p=132349&viewfull=1#post132349

Best Regards,
Gilles

buymystock
06-10-2015, 03:58 PM
I recently got my Linux Magazine # 173 April 2015 edition with the Knoppix 7.5 DVD included. Very delighted with both items, the magazine and the DVD. The Best Live Distro on Earth, indeed!

eionmac
09-07-2015, 08:21 PM
May I express my heartfelt thanks to Klaus Knopper for all his work over the years. A 'trial floppy disk with Knoppix 3.x on a magazine bought from a garage/shop/fuel filling station during a rainy day out on a visit to Wales got me started on Linux. Thanks.

MrNovi
09-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Any idea about when 7.5 will be available for download? Haven't been able to get the Magazine Edition. I know that the quick answer is when it's ready, but seriously can't we get some idea of when it will be available for download?

philo
09-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Knoppix 7.4.2 will be one year old at the end of September.

But it is not a distro and only upgrades in its own sweet time (or way).