PDA

View Full Version : Static DNS manual networking

-=NTL=-
06-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I am on a large network and i am having problems finding where i manually enter the static DNS. I am not using DHCP due to new hardware that is conflicting with my DHCP server. I just need to know how i find out my current IP address on the knoppix machine, and also how to put in a static DNS address. Also what are all the other address it wants me to put in?? Is one of them the DNS with a different name..??

Thanks,

P.S i am a newbie to Linux. (I am jsut starting the R&D to make many servers here)

Stephen
06-24-2003, 12:17 AM
ifconfig eth0 will tell you the current config of eth0 the files you want are in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces.

Examples:

/etc/network/interfaces

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254

/etc/resolv.conf

search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34

Edit the files to your settings and /etc/init.d/networking restart will restart the network with the new settings, the search in the resolv.conf is not really necessary I've had it working without it. Almost forgot the hostname is in /etc/hostname. All this as root except the ifconfig.

Or if you want to do it quickly netcardconfig as root in a console and say no to the DHCP option you can then configure it manually.

-=NTL=-
06-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Where would I put the DNS if I do it manually through netcardconfig?

-=NTL=-
06-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Ok I have the "ifconfig eth0" down and i have the IP, Sub and of course the gateway. BUt when i run ifconfig eth0/etc/networking/interfaces

it tell me no device found.?? why would that be if i can do the infonfig in the first place

-=NTL=-
06-24-2003, 01:08 AM
OK all i need to know now is where to put my static DNS so that i can run this puppy!

Well at least I think that is all I need

aay
06-24-2003, 03:39 AM
Your dns info goes in /etc/resolv.conf

Check out the following page for networking info in Debian. If you scroll 3/4 the way down the page you will see a list of files relevant to networking in Debian. The site in general is a good intro to Debian:

http://aboutdebian.com/network.htm