PDA

View Full Version : What codes can be passed on to Knoppix during boot time by knoppix-data.inf?

rajibando
04-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Could I be directed to a post(s) which discusses the codes that could be passed on to knoppix during boot time via knoppix-data.inf?
Thanks.

utu
04-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Look for knoppix-cheatcodes.txt on any Knoppix CD or DVD.

Or, if using a Knoppix Live System, at

/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt or
/mount-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

rajibando
04-25-2015, 04:22 AM
/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt or
/mount-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

Dear Utu,

I am surprised! Does this mean that the entire cheat-code can be written "AS ARE" within the file knoppix-data.inf ?
When I had Debian system with Grub I used to pass the cheat-codes in grub.cfg to Knoppix in order to boot from that image.

Please direct me to the documentation section where the knoppix-data.inf is discussed, particularly passing the cheat-codes to knoppix during boot time.

I am surprised because I had tried knoppix nodrm nofb 2 in knoppix-data.inf . But the codes were ignored.

Werner P. Schulz
04-25-2015, 12:21 PM
I suppose there has been a misunderstanding about your question. Within 'knoppix-data.inf' there is of course only the information about the overlay partition (not overlay file). How to build this file you can see in '/usr/bin/flash-knoppix(2)'.

How Knoppix interprets this file during boot, you can see within the "init"-file of the minirt.gz in the function mountdata() and there starting at the line "inf) # Contain partition information ...".

For simplicity reason Knoppix only supports "overlay partition" on the 2nd partition with partitionname KNOPPIX-DATA and ReiserFS. If you want to change this behaviour, you have to do many hacks by yourself in this two scriptfiles.

utu
04-25-2015, 02:36 PM
@ Rajib

If one is using Knoppix as a LiveUSB, one may add or change cheatcodes at boot
by modifying APPEND statements in /mnt-system/syslinux.cfg.

If this is done before any persistent changes are recorded, I would expect that
to serve to apply to any cheatcodes you want.

rajibando
04-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes, Utu, so I found! I have been exploring the boot folder in mnt-system/boot/syslinux and tested and found the entered code to be working, across multiple booting. My first line looks as follows:

DEFAULT knoppix
APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce nofb nodrm tz=/Asia/Kolkata libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
TIMEOUT 20

So now I have a working Knoppix running from pen-drive with a persistent ext4 partition whose data and files I can change from other computers.
Thank you, Utu. You always provide straight-forward reply.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

utu
04-25-2015, 04:07 PM
So now I have a working Knoppix running from pen-drive with a persistent ext4 partition whose data and files I can change from other computers.
You are quite welcome, Rajib.
Do you have some reason to prefer ext4 to rieserfs?

rajibando
04-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Do you have some reason to prefer ext4 to rieserfs?

Yes, defragmentation of the RFS and corruption following multiple shutdowns. I have discussed this earlier: My HCL laptop is faulty, thanks to our cybercoolies. Its heat-dissipation system is faulty, leading it to high temperatures when the CPU cycles are 100% utilised.

And I also wish to use this last post from my end to thank Mr. Schulz, a very nice person, who tried to help me complete this project, stayed with me and provided inputs.

rajibando
04-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Dear Utu, I felt I needed to explain myself better.

Both ext4 and the reiser are Journaling Filesystems. To understand the intricacies which warrants implementation of Journals, one has to understand the read-write operations and a power failure during the system's writing data on a storage device, e.g., HDD.

Journaling is a separate area to store To-Be-Written data before writing. If power is cut off during writing from the journal to the permanent data area, we have the journal to recover our work. ext4 is the latest one, having the scope for a huge journal.

Linux doesn't implement Raiser with its full capabilities. Moreover, Knoppix-data.img is really Reiser upon another FS, i.e., journal upon journal, i.e., four (2^2) times the amount of read-write operations than when using a single FS.

My damaged laptop is the result of design by damaged minds. This was the reason for my implementing ext4 directly. I hope I have explained myself as clearly as I am capable of.

Werner P. Schulz
04-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Knoppix-data.img is really Reiser upon another FS, i.e., journal upon journal,..
knoppix-data.img and knoppix-data.aes are special files within the Flash disk install of Knoppix (FAT32). These files are the overlay files and are ext2 formatted (encrypted or not).

The overlay partition in a standard Flash disk install of Knoppix is the whole 2nd partition and is ReiserFS formatted. You can also check and fix ReiserFS with the tool "reiserfsck". Therefore I cannot see the need to use ext4 instead of ReiserFS.
I have been exploring the boot folder in mnt-system/boot/syslinux and tested and found the entered code to be working, across multiple booting.It's the Micro-Remastering (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering) as KK told us.

rajibando
04-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Hi, Mr. Schulz!

Needs:
(1) Linux doesn't implement ReiserFS totally.
(2) After the arrest of Hans Reiser, ReiserFS and Namesys have uncertain future.
(3) Ext4 is Linux standard. Reiser4 is not. Ultimately, Reiser is going to evolve as Reiser4, as there is no further development and bug fixes on Reiser3 FS.
(4) That the script for Knoppix Flash Drive install 2nd ed., overlay option, did not work in my system, is a secondary issue.
(5) That the script uses the 1st partition as FAT32 also appears as a convoluted choice to me. It had better been reiserFS, or ext4 or XFS. FAT32 is a very bad choice as a FS.
(6) Had everything been in ReiserFS I would have had no issues accepting Reiser. At least, the Knoppix virtual swap on RAM uses the ReiserFS. But FAT32 entirely ruins the unison attempted.

BTW, let me seek the occasion to thank you for your little gestures that shows your goodness.

My regards.

rajibando
04-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Dear Mr. Schulz,
I had only the first part of your post when I posted the first draft & you were writing the 2nd part.
Yes, I went to the link and found that it was indeed Micro-remastering.
Please request Mr. Knopper to brainstorm with his team so that the requirement of FAT32 partitions on the Flash Drive in Flash-Knoppix2 is eliminated, and in its place, the RaiserFS introduced in the first place.
Regards,
Rajib

Werner P. Schulz
04-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Again! Knoppix isn't a distribution, it's a Live Linux. Therefore KK has other considerations for Knoppix. The best option to boot a Live Linux medium also on elder computers is to use FAT32.
Please request Mr. Knopper to brainstorm with his team ..You can ask KK yourself using the Knoppix Mailinglist (http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/) but you have to convince him. In annother connection he wrote (https://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2011/08/msg00051.html)
Regards
-Klaus
PS: 0wn uses reiserfs as only option, because it is the only file system I know
which repairs itself in case of a prior sync-less poweroff by just mounting it,
and is fairly easy to handle compared to other tree+ file systems. You can try to
convince me to use something else in the furture, of course, if you know any
good reasons. ;-)And the team of KK - there is no team apart from his wife, testing Adriane, the component of Knoppix for blind peoples.

rajibando
04-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi, Mr. Schulz!

...You can ask KK yourself using the Knoppix Mailinglist but you have to convince him....

But how is it that a person who is so sold on ReiserFS would not invest his everything on ReiserFS in the first place? I did not impose my opinion about ext4 on you. You are far better aware of the issue on this matter. I was only talking about a script for Flash Drive implementing everything in ReiserFS. Is it too difficult a request?

Next, about:

...the team of KK - there is no team apart from his wife....
But his Webpage http://knopper.net/about/index-en.html says otherwise:

... How to reach us Together with Klaus Knopper (http://knopper.net/knopper/index-en.html), several freelance software developers are working together at KNOPPER.NET on individual IT projects...

Anyway, I wouldn't like you to invest efforts on these petty issues. Our goal having been met, let's focus on something constructive.
My regards,
Rajib

Werner P. Schulz
04-26-2015, 10:02 PM
The company "KNOPPER.NET IT" of KK is one thing to earn money and also his job as Professor at the University of Kaiserslautern. The Knoppix/Ariadne project is not a project of the company, it's his private project →The Klaus Knopper interview (http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/the-klaus-knopper-interview.html).

rajibando
04-27-2015, 05:09 AM
Oh, I see! Well then, with our technical discussion over, let's move on to other challenges. We could always chat using PMs.
Good day, Mr. Schulz.