PDA

View Full Version : Write MBR to direct BIOS to /boot/syslinux/minirt.gz manually from terminal

rajibando
04-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Please refer to flash-knoppix2. Which is the code by which the MBR is written such that the BIOS is directed to to /boot/syslinux/minirt.gz (or Linux) ? How can I do this manually for a two equally reiserFS partitioned flash drive, then manually copy boot and KNOPPIX directories from DVD image?
I want a ReiserFS Flash-drive running Knoppix from it.

superman
04-28-2015, 11:48 PM
ReiserFS isn't on the supported filesystem list of Syslinux. May need to try other bootloaders though...

rajibando
04-29-2015, 06:29 AM
ReiserFS isn't on the supported filesystem list of Syslinux... This is supposed to mean that Knoppix is hodge podge? Of course, for someone who is sold on RaiserFS it may appear lame not to have a system based totally on RaiserFS. Quoted from Wikipedia,
ReiserFS was the default file system in Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise until Novell decided to move to ext3 on October 12, 2006 for future releases it is clear that ReiserFS is problematic. But of course I would respect Prof. Knopper's choice, but there must be a congruity between choice and implementation.

Werner P. Schulz
04-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Knoppix is not only a mix of different filesystems, but also of Debian stable, testing and experimental, of LXDE, Gnome and KDE. Very important - it's also a mix of Debian and special Knopper-scripts to enable the Adriane part of Knoppix for blind peoples.

rajibando
04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
What I meant by hodge-podge is the H.P2 of H.P.1( i.e., your HP) X H.P.2 (i.e., sold to a FS that is not supported totally Linux) , which means ≈ HP^2 :)

However, I am not misleading you to believe that I don't love Knoppix, I do, it is beautiful to me, and I am trying to make it more beautiful!