PDA

View Full Version : Boot Menu -USB HDD

cbgbz
05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
I have loaded 7.4.2 onto an 8 GB pen drive. I used the flash-knoppix link on the desk top. There was an error message that stated the cp couldn't extend the partition (I don't have the exact wording). That's a problem for later.

When I interrupt the boot sequence and get to the screen where I select the device to boot from, the pen drive is recognized, but the line reads: 6) -USB HDD.

It's the only line where the device is preceded by a dash.

Does this mean my system will not boot from any USB pen drive or just this one. If it won't boot from any pen drive, there is no point in trying to solve the "cp failed to extend" problem.

Thanks.

Werner P. Schulz
05-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Does this mean my system will not boot from any USB pen drive ..No! Check the possibilities of your BIOS/UEFI.

cbgbz
05-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Werner,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I check the capabilities of my BIOS/UEFI? Where do I look and what do I look for?

What does the dash ("-") that precedes the device signify?

Werner P. Schulz
05-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Read the manual of your motherboard.

utu
05-12-2015, 06:32 PM
How do I check the capabilities of my BIOS/UEFI? Where do I look and what do I look for?

For example, with my Dell Inspiron:

Immediately select either Function Key FN-2 or FN-12 before any boot process starts.

With FN-2, one may select any one of a number of devices from which to boot;
if USB is a choice, select that and a LiveUSB like Knoppix should boot this time only.
If no choice is made here, the first bootable device available in the sequence shown
will be selected for booting. FN-2 also allows you the same option as FN-12 to
re-arrange order of sequence of devices from which to boot.

With FN-12, if USB is a choice, arrange the sequence such that USB is first and a LiveUSB
like Knoppix should boot every time its USB is plugged-in. If the sequential order is saved,
re-arranging the order of sequence of devices from which to boot needs to be done only once.

If USB is available, but not a choice for booting, and if CD is both available, and a
choice for booting, then it is possible to use a Knoppix boot-only CD to achieve booting
from a Knoppix LiveUSB. In this case, one would use FN-2 or FN-12 to select CD to be
first in the order of sequence to boot from the Knoppix LiveUSB.

Your computer may be slightly different; see your owner's manual if it is.