PDA

View Full Version : Samba Questions

arkaine23
06-24-2003, 03:18 PM
I want to have my own knoppix be able to run on several machines on home networks and share to a windows machine. I could make a static configuration for samba and make as many unique remasters as were needed, but I want to make knoppix's samba conform to the users' networks, not the other way around if I can.

1)What is the default samba user? password?

2) Anyway the user can set their own stuff in smb.conf? I need several knoppix machines to share with one windows box, so wouldn't I need unique hostnames? Would I also need unique samba users and passowrds, or can I share from several machines with just one samba user/password?

3) Can I share something in the ramdisk to a windows machine. I have an app in windows that monitors folding@home. I'd like ti to be able to monitor the status of F@H while its running in a ramdisk. This monitoring app doesn't have a problem with samba shares in ext3, but I'm not sure how versatile it is beyond that. What fs is the ramdisk anyway?

4) What's the default hostname? Can I set it up so the user can change it?

5) Is there a built-in shell variable for hostname, $host maybe?

pau1knopp
06-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Quick answers to your questions:

1) The default password is going to be whatever you set it to with the "smbpasswd -a knoppix" command line.

2) The user root can configure smb.conf, not joe user. I would set up unique user id's and passwords for each user. You need to add a unix account then reperform the "smbpasswd -a" for each.

3) Not sure what you're talking about here, I probably can't help.

4) The default hostname is the name you christend your knoppix boxen. You can change it if you like, if you're root or have sudo access.

5) You should be able to create your own environment variable, but I'm not sure what you're trying to attempt. I would consider posting this as a separate question if you need to pursue it...

I did a quick forum search on the key word "SAMBA". The first link that came up appears to address your question, but there are TONS of others. A search for smb.conf would probably yield a lot of good information on this subject as well.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251#825

You may want to seach specific forums (HD-Install, Networking, etc.) depending on your needs.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards,

~paul