PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix

fenix
06-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Okay. I want to learn Linux because I am sick of Windows. I downloaded Knoppix v3.2 and burned it onto a cd (boot cd) and restarted the system. I get to a prompt where you load knoppix and it begins to load but then says "Unable to locate filesystem. Sorry. Dropping to a (very limited) shell." and the gets me to another prompt where I can't do anything.

I have a feeling its somthing simple and i'm just an idiot, but this is my first crack at it. I figure once I get inside I should be good. I am going to run it on a P2 266. 128mb, 42x cd-rom, 5gb HD. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Stephen
06-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Try knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt to check the cd and knoppix mem=128M if it passes the test other cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may want to try.

LiQiuD
06-24-2003, 09:20 PM
What type of cdrom are you booting off of, i have the same problem, but only when booting from an external USB cd rom.

fenix
06-25-2003, 12:37 AM
Try knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt to check the cd and knoppix mem=128M if it passes the test other cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may want to try.

I tried both and it didn't change anything. Where is the knoppix file system located? is it possible to manualy specify the location of the file system at the boot prompt?

??
:?
fenix

fenix
06-25-2003, 12:41 AM
What type of cdrom are you booting off of, i have the same problem, but only when booting from an external USB cd rom.

Its some generic burner i got. Could that be the problem? its an internal drive .

Stephen
06-25-2003, 02:55 AM
I tried both and it didn't change anything. Where is the knoppix file system located? is it possible to manualy specify the location of the file system at the boot prompt?

??
:?
fenix

The file system is located on the CD and then gets loaded into RAM it seems like it does not want to recognize your ram you may have to try it on another machine, it could be the cdrom not reading the disk but then you would think that it would not boot at all.

fenix
06-26-2003, 03:22 AM
The file system is located on the CD and then gets loaded into RAM it seems like it does not want to recognize your ram you may have to try it on another machine, it could be the cdrom not reading the disk but then you would think that it would not boot at all.

I just put another 128Mb of RAM on today to give that a try. Computer runs better, but still wont boot Knoppix, I also tried downloading it (and burning it) again and got the same message. This is bumming me out! at the boot prompt i just type "knoppix" right? there isn't some process that I'm not aware of? I have searched alot of the documentation on this site and haven't found anything that refers to my problem.

fenix

Stephen
06-26-2003, 03:45 AM
I just put another 128Mb of RAM on today to give that a try. Computer runs better, but still wont boot Knoppix, I also tried downloading it (and burning it) again and got the same message. This is bumming me out! at the boot prompt i just type "knoppix" right? there isn't some process that I'm not aware of? I have searched alot of the documentation on this site and haven't found anything that refers to my problem.

fenix

More ram is always good and you are trying to boot it correctly. You have not mentioned whether you have tried to boot with either failsafe or expert cheat codes just use them alone at the boot: prompt instead of the knoppix and see what they can do.

fenix
06-27-2003, 07:06 PM
More ram is always good and you are trying to boot it correctly. You have not mentioned whether you have tried to boot with either failsafe or expert cheat codes just use them alone at the boot: prompt instead of the knoppix and see what they can do.

tried both, on their own, it gives me a slew of information that goes by too fast to read and then gives me the same readout.

"Cannot find Knoppix file system! Sorry.
Dropping to a very limited shell.

and then I have six commands like "mount" and "cat"

I donloaded it again.. i'll try that.

Stephen
06-27-2003, 07:42 PM
tried both, on their own, it gives me a slew of information that goes by too fast to read and then gives me the same readout.

If you try the other disk again when you get the shell type dmesg | less which will display the boot messages one page at a time and you will be able to use the arrow keys to move up and down to view the messages.