PDA

View Full Version : unsuccessful boot from scsi cdrom

sireasoning
01-09-2003, 07:59 AM
I tried to boot and run knoppix from a scsi cdrom. It booted properly but kicked out with an error during discovery when it rediscovered the scsi cdrom drive. The error was something like "could not find knoppix files (or directories)".

Dave_Bechtel
01-09-2003, 09:48 PM
--Make sure the SCSI cdrom drive is set to ID 0. I haven't had problems booting Knoppix from mine, but then again I haven't tried it in a while because that drive is on the server... :?

--Also make sure you're using a high-quality / brand-name 700MB CDR. My rig booted Knoppix just fine a month or so ago - on an old Plextor 4Plex Plus, and they don't know from cdr/W's.

I tried to boot and run knoppix from a scsi cdrom. It booted properly but kicked out with an error during discovery when it rediscovered the scsi cdrom drive. The error was something like "could not find knoppix files (or directories)".

sireasoning
01-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you have to reconfigure the hardware to be able to run knoppix? knoppix should be able to run from a scsi cdrom regardless of whether it is ID0 or not.

Dave_Bechtel
01-13-2003, 01:54 PM
--Not really. Knoppix is giving you a LOT of stuff, for no cost. And, it's doing everything DYNAMICALLY - at boot, without touching the hard drive.

--Look up the specs for your SCSI card. I've always used Adaptec, and AFAIK the CDROM drive has to be ID 0 for the system to be able to boot properly from it. (I obviously wasn't able to do this myself, until I reconfigured my SCSI cdrom to be 0.)

Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you have to reconfigure the hardware to be able to run knoppix? knoppix should be able to run from a scsi cdrom regardless of whether it is ID0 or not.