PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Monitor Clients off 1 Server PC

raptorsoft2000
06-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I work at a Papa John's, and they have one server computer. They have a device coming out of the com port and it has ethernet plugs. The ethernet lines hook into the device, and they go to each of the monitors. The monitors are TeleVideo Model 990, and they have an adapter in the back. I believe that it is a com port, and the adapter converts it into a ethernet port. If anyone knows how I can make a setup like this, please let me know. I would really like to do that for my house. Thanks :)

rec9140
06-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I work at a Papa John's, and they have one server computer. They have a device coming out of the com port and it has ethernet plugs. The ethernet lines hook into the device, and they go to each of the monitors. The monitors are TeleVideo Model 990, and they have an adapter in the back. I believe that it is a com port, and the adapter converts it into a ethernet port. If anyone knows how I can make a setup like this, please let me know. I would really like to do that for my house. Thanks :)

This is most likely a serial port multiplexer as the Televideo terminals are strictly serial devices.

This is not a serial to ethernet converter. Its common to wire serial to use CAT5e and RJ-45 plugs to send the serial signal to terminals.

I would use ethernet at home, and then look into the Terminal server features of Knoppix and/or the Linux Terminal Server project. You could also look into Lorma Linux, a Red Hat based distro from the Phillipines, that has setups for doing similar things.

You can also look into SSH logins for text based needs, or look into X11 forwarding to have a KDE desktop on a remote PC.