PDA

View Full Version : Setting up user and pass for Samba

-=NTL=-
06-25-2003, 12:49 AM
I know i have loat of questions.. But i am just tring to pave through this so that i can get a fast a good basic knowledge of Debian. I am progressing very well but every once and awhile i hit bumps like these. For example. How do i set the user and passowrd for Samba when it say all these errors whne i am using "sudo /etc/init.d/samba start" then typing "smbpasswd a-knoppix" then typing the password only to have it tell me that the old password is not correct.. I have tried my root password and also Have tried doing both in root and not in root. I have tried many different names. However. I dont have other users in my Knoppix as of right now. So if i have to add one i will nee dto know how to do that as well so that i can set up samba srever to share with windows.

Thanks,

markleong
06-25-2003, 04:50 AM
To add user to samba:-

smbpasswd -a userid

-=NTL=-
06-25-2003, 04:57 AM
Awesome!!!!

I am using mt Red Hat Machine To get onformation about my KNoppix machine....I am starting to love knoppix thats for sure

Thanks again

-=NTL=-
06-25-2003, 04:59 AM
Darnit!!

Its still giving me the failed to find entry for user
Ill figure it out though

-=NTL=-
06-25-2003, 05:01 AM
It says its a read only database. DO i have to go into the .conf then edit it than do a network restart?