PDA

View Full Version : Is Knoppix V7.6 almost ready?

rbenea
09-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

I have translated this with Google:
On November 14, 2015 takes place at different locations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland held a Linux Presentation Day on which inform visitors on site about the possibilities and applications of the Open Source operating system GNU / Linux, and can even try it out live. On this occasion, one way or another edition of KNOPPIX 7.6 is offered at some locations, in-house by the organizers.

So.. should we expect Knoppix 7.6 to be available soon for download?

Rares

philo
09-24-2015, 11:24 AM
You translated an announcement made in KNOPPIX.NET-News (German edition). You could have found it in English in the English edition.

So it must true that a new Knoppix version is close to being born.

otropogo
09-29-2015, 05:25 AM
You translated an announcement made in KNOPPIX.NET-News (German edition). You could have found it in English in the English edition.

So it must true that a new Knoppix version is close to being born.

What happened to Knoppix 7.5? Did the dog eat it?

According to the Knoppix home page, 7.4.2 is still the current version. And if recent history repeats, a first peek at the new version in November means no download version before Spring or Summer of 2016.

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2015, 05:54 AM
Typically Klaus does some trade show releases that he chooses to not release to the Internet. People sometimes go behind his back and extract the ISO from the disc and release it, but I feel that rather disrespects the author. As for the 7.6 release, Klaus' typical response to this type of question is that it will be released when he is ready.

otropogo
10-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Typically Klaus does some trade show releases that he chooses to not release to the Internet. People sometimes go behind his back and extract the ISO from the disc and release it, but I feel that rather disrespects the author. As for the 7.6 release, Klaus' typical response to this type of question is that it will be released when he is ready.

Unless the dog eats Klaus first...

buymystock
10-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Unless the dog eats Klaus first... ...that won't happen.

buymystock
10-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Tell me where to get knoppix 7.6; free or otherwise, and "the check is in the mail"; I got the knoppix 7.5 dvd at Linux Magazine web site and would be much more than delighted to order a new copy of knoppix 7.6 too! Love Knoppix!

rbenea
10-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Same here!

We'll release a beta version of our software for blind users at the end of October so if I could build it on 7.6 directly it could save time not to redoit in a couple of months.

Tell me where to get knoppix 7.6; free or otherwise, and "the check is in the mail"; I got the knoppix 7.5 dvd at Linux Magazine web site and would be much more than delighted to order a new copy of knoppix 7.6 too! Love Knoppix!

otropogo
10-11-2015, 08:19 PM

How did you do this, and how did you even find out about it? I just looked at the website and the issue in which 7.5 was included, and the only link I could see for the file gave the following display:

Die von Ihnen angegebene Seite /knoppix/knoppix750.html wurde nicht gefunden.
The specified page /knoppix/knoppix750.html could not be found.

BTW - I hate using paypal for anything. Have you ever read their terms and conditions or read any user reviews concerning customer service for billing and other accounting problems?

Don't care for google apps either. I've only ever used one, for my tablet. The tablet reset without my intervention, and the app disappeared without a trace.

otropogo
10-11-2015, 08:20 PM
...that won't happen.

Oh? Has Klaus been granted eternal good health by the gods of IT, or is it that he's been cloned?

Werner P. Schulz
10-13-2015, 04:50 PM
→ The DVD Image is ready ... (https://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2015/10/msg00003.html)

otropogo
10-15-2015, 09:07 PM
→ The DVD Image is ready ... (https://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2015/10/msg00003.html)

ready for download? If so, where, exactly?

Have looked at several of the mirror download sites, including Kaiserlauten, TU Wien, Mirror.PW, and haven't seen anything later than v. 7.4.2. And several mirrors seem no longer to be accessible.

UNIX-AG Bitorrent Tracker shows nothing later than v. 7.4.2 being shared.

Werner P. Schulz
10-15-2015, 09:46 PM
I suppose, KK will offer CD and DVD for download at the same day as ever in the past.

Capricorny
10-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Just FYI, I quote the complete post Werner linked to here. From the debian-knoppix mailing list 13.10, Klaus K answers:

Hello Marcin,

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:50:54AM +0200, Marcin Lach wrote:
> If there is a chance for CD version, I would suggest to create really
> light imege (kernel, xorg, lxde).

The DVD Image is ready (declared bug-free until I find one), I'm aiming
for the lightweight CD image now, which should contain at least:

- Kernel (possibly both the 32 and the 64bit version)
- UEFI Secure Boot support (like the 7.6 DVD)
- Rescue tools (testdisk, ddrescue et al.)
- Firefox
- LibreOffice
- compiz
- ADRIANE and supporting tools

I'm not yet sure if the formerly present features like the
knoppix-terminalserver, apache, tor and others will still fit, but I'll
try...

Regards
- so DVD and CD are planned, DVD image is under testing now.

It will be interesting to see how much (if any) of the recent changes in Debian's init process have been ported to Knoppix 7.6.
These changes contributed to the problems with making a "Knoppix-like" remastered live version with persistent store. (I gave up after several attempts.)
Knoppix 7.6 could become a new virtual machine favorite.

Werner P. Schulz
11-21-2015, 02:04 PM
In the meantime Prof. Knopper has offered KNOPPIX_V7.6.0DVD-2015-11-21-DE
on http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/index.html?filter=Knoppix
Now we have to wait for the CD version and for both EN versions. There is not yet something on the mirrors.

Capricorny
11-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm downloading the english version from uni-kl now: http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/

utu
11-22-2015, 04:18 AM
I found the Netherlands site, ftp.knoppix.nl, to give a faster download of the dvd iso;
possibly because mirrors are still using the university site. Still no cd iso, but the EN dvd
LiveUSB looks very nice and passes testdvd.

Online in 30 sec, shut-down in 10 sec with Win7 laptop and legacy boot.
Times a little faster with Win8 laptop and uefi boot. Not using secure boot.

philo
11-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Thank you Mr Knopper.

MaCon
11-22-2015, 10:01 PM
I am at 72% download of the english version from uni-kl : http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
My newly installed (reconditioned) 750 GB HD is not running an OS yet.
I am wondering if it is going into the Persistent file system on my 8 GB Flash Drive or into my 3631 MB RAM (361 MB used) .

If it's going to RAM... uh oh...

Hopeful,
MaCon

MaCon
11-22-2015, 10:19 PM
I received a text box that says it is going to the Persistent File System but is out of space.
!
I have properties showing 3.3 GB ( out of 4.4 GB needed )

Any hope of redirecting that existing 3.3 to a larger Flash Drive and continuing on?

Thank You,

Werner P. Schulz
11-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Have a look at
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#HD_install

I suggest → "Flash disk install" on your 8 GB Flash Drive for first experiences. You need all of the 8 GB.

MaCon
11-22-2015, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=Werner P. Schulz;133188]Have a look at
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#HD_instal
(http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#HD_install)
Thanks for the HD information Link.

I'll select the Debian AMD64 install for the Hard Drive.

Regards !

utu
11-24-2015, 02:39 AM
These are a few thoughts on using Knoppix 7.6 for a few hours.

My usual approach is to download a Knoppix LiveDVD iso to a Windows 7 computer
and then use an earlier Knoppix LiveUSB to burn an actual LiveDVD from the iso.
I use the LiveDVD only once to make a new LiveUSB as I did this time.
I have good luck with 16 Gb SanDisk Ultra Fit Cruzers which are USB-3 capable.
My computers are only USB-2 capable, but the Cruzers use more of the USB-2
capability than do most SDHC cards. I allotted 5 Gb for reiserfs persistence,
so there's a lot of unused space on my Knoppix 7.6 LiveUSBs.

I have a number of pet adjustments I always like to make to my Knoppix LiveUSBs,
and have saved recipes that allow me to move in comfortably in a few hours.
A tarred and zipped copy of these adjustments takes up only about 20 Mb. These
20 Mb comes in handy to rapidly recover from a ruined read/write persistence file,
which happens now and then.

It's been so long since I made a new Knoppix LiveUSB, I'd forgotten how to
rearrange apps on the lxpanel. Somehow I loused that up, but recovered by just
starting over. I checked my LiveUSB on both a Win7 computer with legacy boot
and a Win8 computer with both legacy boot and uefi. The only surprise I ran
across was that for my Win8 using uefi boot, it was not possible to get a
meaningful testdvd. This really doesn't matter in this instance since I could
pull off a satisfactory testdvd with either Win7 or Win8 in legacy mode.

Both machines are dual 64-bit cpu Dell Inspiron laptops which boot to browser
on-line in 30 seconds or less, and will shut-down in 8 seconds or less using
the Knoppix 7.6 LiveUSB described earlier.

The only surprises I have to report so far are:
1. The Knoppix 7.6 OS is contained in two cloops KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX1 which
together take up only 4.1 Gb of vfat storage. KNOPPIX is the 7.6 OS proper;
KNOPPIX1 is a single application which mounts only on the /usr wing of the OS.
This application is called Blender.
2. There is no hassle with Touchpad gestures screwing up text processing as
has been the case for years with previous Linuxes of all stripes. You don't
need to disable the Touchpad in Knoppix 7.6.

Here's a filesystem outline of my Knoppix 7.6 LiveUSB:

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ df
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs rootfs 2.0G 48K 2.0G 1% /
/dev/sdb1 vfat 9.2G 4.1G 5.1G 45% /mnt-system
tmpfs tmpfs 3.1G 0 3.1G 0% /ramdisk
/dev/cloop iso9660 9.7G 9.7G 0 100% /KNOPPIX
/dev/cloop1 iso9660 352M 352M 0 100% /KNOPPIX1
/dev/sdb2 reiserfs 5.4G 387M 5.0G 8% /media/sdb2
unionfs aufs 5.4G 387M 5.0G 8% /usr
tmpfs tmpfs 20M 3.1M 17M 16% /run
tmpfs tmpfs 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /UNIONFS/var/lock
tmpfs tmpfs 100M 56K 100M 1% /UNIONFS/var/log
tmpfs tmpfs 2.0G 8.0K 2.0G 1% /tmp
udev devtmpfs 20M 0 20M 0% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs tmpfs 392M 8.0K 392M 1% /run/user/1000
tmpfs tmpfs 392M 0 392M 0% /run/user/0
/dev/sdc1 vfat 1.9G 551M 1.3G 30% /media/sdc1

/dev/sdc1 is just a small SDHC with some notes on it.

11-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Has anybody been able to access an optical drive without having to manually mount it? In past versions they were automatically mounted after inserting a disc.

11-25-2015, 12:13 PM
I've also noticed that Openshot is not working properly for me. The colours displayed on the videos are wrong, as if a negative filter was being applied, both when playing on the preview window and also on the exported video. This didn't happen in previous versions.

Jeffery Mewtamer
11-25-2015, 03:43 PM
If the CD version isn't released soon, I'm tempted to just download the DVD and rebuild it to boot in Adriane by default. To that end, I have a few questions: -Anyone know whish file on the DVD contains the default cheat codes(I can figure it out myself by running fdupes on the contents of the 7.2.0 CDs(Only 3 files differ between the standard and Adriane editions of that version), but if someone already knows, that's a gigabyte and a half I don't need to download, mount, copy to a writeable filesystem and then run fdupes on). -Anyone know a command-line tool that will let me edit the required file within the iso directly instead of mounting, copying the contents, making the edit, and then rebuilding the iso(tis a very round about way of doing what amounts to a single line edit to a text file. -How does the space requirement for harddrive installs compare with 7.4.2(which requires an absolutely ridiculous 13 GB of free space). -Have any improvements been made to the 0WN installer such as support for installing to filesystems other than ReiserFS, setting up an existing partition to be used as /home, setting up a root/sudo password, or giving one the option to only install the base system and what one needs?

utu
11-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Anyone know whish file on the DVD contains the default cheat codes

Greetings, Jeffery.
The cheatcodes in the non-Adriane EN version of Knoppix 7.6.0 LiveDVD are contained at /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes/txt.
Text says v7.5, I know.
Also, you can always use locate to find a file of a mounted system. May need to sudo updatedb first.
HTH

Werner P. Schulz
11-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Hello Jeffery,

Prof. Knopper didn't changed anything within his script 0wn; the version of it is from 30. Mai 2012. I've done a HD install within a 32 GB partition and got 11 GB used. Therefore 13 GB may not be enough for all of your personal data.

utu
11-26-2015, 01:38 AM
The only surprises I have to report so far are:
1. The Knoppix 7.6 OS is contained in two cloops KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX1 which
together take up only 4.1 Gb of vfat storage. KNOPPIX is the 7.6 OS proper;
KNOPPIX1 is a single application which mounts only on the /usr wing of the OS.
This application is called Blender. etc.

On closer inspection,
1a. The size of KNOPPIX is the maximum filesize that fat32 will accept. It contains the Knoppix OS
and a lot of apps.
1b. KNOPPIX1 (currently) contains two additional apps, FreeCAD & Blender, that Klaus K wanted to include.

Somewhere, someone else has already noted the distribution iso itself won't fit on fat32,
but requires either ntfs, linux for examples to hold it. By dumb luck, the only space
I have enough-of for isos is ntfs.

A third surprise for me is that iwlist does not behave in 7.6 as it did in 7.4.
As a compensation, nmcli does all iwlist ever did and more, so I've switched from iwlist to nmcli
for some of my tweaks.

Jeffery Mewtamer
11-26-2015, 03:54 PM
As long as I'm doing a micro remaster to make Adriane the default boot option, would it be safe to remove knoppix1 from the DVD before rebuilding the iso if I have no need for FreeCAD or Blender?

utu
11-26-2015, 04:23 PM
As long as I'm doing a micro remaster to make Adriane the default boot option, would it be safe to remove knoppix1 from the DVD before rebuilding the iso if I have no need for FreeCAD or Blender?

Hello, Jeffery.
I think you could omit KNOPPIX1, but that will only free-up 350-or-so Megabytes.

utu
11-26-2015, 05:25 PM
that will only free-up 350-or-so Megabytes.
To clarify ...
Actually, KNOPPIX1 only takes up 113 Mb on /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX1 of the boot medium storage.
If you were to have FreeCAD and Blender in ram at the same time, that might use 350 Mb of ram.

Jeffery Mewtamer
11-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Well, my first attempt at rebuilding the DVD iso to boot in Adriane by default was a bust. Got as far as the "Initializing Boot Sequence"(or whatever the message is) being spoken, but the Adriane menu never loads(or if it does, speech never starts)(Actually, are the spoken startup and shutdown messages exclusive to Adriane mode, or do they play even booting normal knoppix?). I think the problem is that I either didn't alter /boot/isolinux/*cfg correctly(I left the one that has default auto near the top unaltered and changed the ones with default knoppix near the top to default adriane(related question: is there something I can replace default knoppix64 with that will both boot in Adriane mode and with a 64-bit kernel?)) or the removal of knoppix1 broke something. Might take a look at /boot/isolinux/*.cfg on my Adriane 7.4.2 DVD to see if I altered the default auto line there. but seriously, is there a less convoluted way of making small alterations to an iso image from the terminal than: sudo mount -o loop the image cp the contents to a folder on a writable filesystem chmod the files to be altered to restore write permissions Edit the files rebuild the image with genisoimage

utu
11-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Hello, Jeffery.

There are two isos you might have used, one is for adriane as default, and one is not.
Both have spoken introduction and shut-down messages.
The non-adriane version will start-up in adriane if you use input 'knoppix adriane' at the boot prompt;
you don't need to edit th cfg file to get into adriane mode.

It's going to be a long hard slog for you making a CD version out of the DVD.
Somewhere along the line you may delete some code needed by one of the programs you want to keep.
It might help for you to petition Klaus K personally to see when you might expect a bona fide Knoppix 7.6 LiveCD.

Werner P. Schulz
11-27-2015, 07:27 PM
I think the problem is that I either didn't alter /boot/isolinux/*cfg correctly(I left the one that has default auto near the top unaltered

Hello Jeffery!

At the end of
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix760-en.html
you'll find
<cite>
Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing syslinux.cfg after having copied the CD to a bootable memorystick using "flash-knoppix": Update: Computers without DVD driveChange the upper line
DEFAULT auto
to:
DEFAULT adriane
for automatically starting ADRIANE on boot. This is already default in all ADRIANE iso files.
</cite>

Why do you use this painful way to rebuild the image with genisoimage instead of doing a Flash install. Within the link i've mentioned above you can also see at the position
→ Update: Computers without DVD drive
how to do the Flash install using tje command line.

Jeffery Mewtamer
11-28-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't know if either of my computers have their Bios configured to allow booting from the SD slot(incase of my Laptop) or a SD card in a USB adapter(in case of my Desktop), but if the new Flash-Knoppix is available from the repositories, I might try testing my most recent rebuild of the iso via that method. Basically, what I've been doing so far has been me trying to repeat my success at making a 7.4.2 DVD that boots in Adriane by default having no idea that the needed knowledge to make the change had been put in the release notes or that tools had been release that could allow some to skip the hassle of rebuilding the iso(still, I know a CD/DVD works as a boot medium on both my computers, I don't know if an SD card will work for either).

utu
11-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Hi, Jeffery.

If you tell us the make and model of your computer(s) we can probably find out
if they have usb or SD card capability. Windows 7 laptops, for example, have both capabilities.
For these, one needs to re-arrange the order of media selected for boot to favor usb or
SD over CD or HDD.

Jeffery Mewtamer
11-28-2015, 06:13 PM
The laptop is an Acer Aspire of I forget the model number whose pre-installed Win8 was nuked to make room for a hard-drive install of Knoppix 7.4.2. It lacks a built-in optical drive, but I was able to talk a less technically inclined person through configuring it so I could boot from an external optical drive. The desktop is a hand-me-down Junker so old it has no Sata ports and lacks a monitor a sighted person could use to assist with altering bios settings, but already favored the optical drive when it came into my possession. It is new enough that it has a multi-card reader built-in instead of a 3.5" floppy drive though the card reader has never worked properly. Not sure what version the borked Windows install I nuked to put Knoppix on it was. Though, what I really need is a method for either installing a screen reader into bios or configuring the bios from within the Linux terminal because trying to talk someone who doesn't know what phrases like "boot order", "legacy boot", and "secure boot" mean through putting a optical drive above the harddrive is hard enough and there are some screwy things with this laptop that make me wish I could go through all the bios options(for example, it won't fully power-off when I issue the halt command which also prevents the reboot command from working properly, and the default configuration lacks a means of turning the monitor off that doesn't turn it back on with the next key press). Sorry for the irrelevant ranting, I just miss the days when Bios defaults didn't seem hostile to Linux users.

utu
11-29-2015, 01:01 AM
The laptop is an Acer Aspire of I forget the model number whose pre-installed Win8 was nuked to make room for a hard-drive install of Knoppix 7.4.2. It lacks a built-in optical drive, but I was able to talk a less technically inclined person through configuring it so I could boot from an external optical drive.

Hello, Jeffery. I presume the external optical drive is connected to a usb port.
Also, I note ACER Aspires often have as many as three usb ports.
From this I wonder if you might consider using a LiveUSB Knoppix rather than a hard-drive install.

MaCon
11-29-2015, 06:51 AM
I poked around to try and help uncover your Model Number for the awesome folk here to know what you are working with. The support area at http://global-download.acer.com/SupportFiles/HelpDoc/help.aspx?LC=en&BC=Acer shows an example white tag on the bottom of the computer. It has a bar code on that tag that might be read with a Q-cat or equivalent. Thought I would mention it, in case you have a Q-cat or some kind of Scanner you could use to get the Serial Nr. and SSID on here and that ought to lead to the other pertinent data about your computer? IF that S/N and SSID are NOT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE information? Someone else may want to advise on that part. Just a thought from the sidelines here. :-)

ruymbeke
12-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Hello Klaus,
I hope you and your family are doing well. Thank you very much for this new version of Knoppix.
Some time ago you provided a HowTo get the 64 bits compile & run time environment for Knoppix 7.0.2
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29878-Knoppix-7.0.2-EN-DVD-notes-comments?p=126922&viewfull=1#post126922
These steps are no longer working with Knoppix 7.6.0. Could you please suggest something ?
Could you please consider adding the minimal 64 bits run time libraries to your next release ?
So 64 bits binaries (with statically linked libraries or minimal linked libraries) could also be executed
right out of your great dvd. A script to install the 64 bits compile environment would be ideal.
Thank you very much for your time, hard work and persistence.
Best Regards,
Gilles

ruymbeke
12-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Hi Klaus,
I just woul like to bring to your attention that the output format of the "ifconfig" program have now changed
which now breaks multiple scripts, knoppix-terminalserver being one of them. Knoppix 7.5.0 was still ok.
cf: https : / / bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=784314
I also have trouble getting the vmware tools to autostart and have the cut & paste working between
the host and the guest vm. It is probablly not related to the above problem. Any idea ?
Best Regards,
Gilles

(new) ifconfig as in Knoppix 7.6.0
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 metric 1
inet 172.17.17.17 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 172.17.17.255
inet6 fe80::5054:ff:fe3f:c083 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether 52:54:00:3f:c0:83 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 339806 bytes 317184647 (302.4 MiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 158189 bytes 14694182 (14.0 MiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

(old) ifconfig as in Knoppix 7.5.0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 52:54:00:A3:98:1B
inet addr:172.17.17.15 Bcast:172.17.17.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::5054:ff:fea3:981b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:678733 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:176576 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:362735982 (345.9 MiB) TX bytes:15404448 (14.6 MiB)

klaus2008
12-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Some time ago you provided a HowTo get the 64 bits compile & run time environment for Knoppix 7.0.2
Hi Gilles!

Under Knoppix 7.6.0 I did the following to run 'Three Million Digits PI Calculation'.
I booted Knoppix 7.6.0 with 64 bit kernel in VirtualBox 5.0.10 on a MS Windows 8.1 host. I used a virtual machine with 2 cores and 3072 MB of RAM.

In an LXTerminal I did some preparing steps.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install time
sudo apt-get -t testing install libc6-dev-amd64
mkdir /home/knoppix/src
cd /home/knoppix/src
wget http://h2np.net/pi/pi_quick_start.tar.gz
tar xf pi_quick_start.tar.gz
cd pi_quick_start
export CFLAGS=-m64

I loaded start.sh into a text editor and replaced all occurences of 'cc ' with 'gcc -m64 '. I saved the file and closed the text editor.
I issued
./start.sh and answered all questions with 'y'. I got the following result.

Start and wait for a while...done
Command being timed: "./pi 3000000"
User time (seconds): 2.06
System time (seconds): 0.09
Percent of CPU this job got: 99%
Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 0:02.16
Type any key for finish

The command 'file pi' gave
pi: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=88fc7ab989da115e5771ec97aefe8d964726a127, not stripped

Btw. I am _not_ the inventor of Knoppix.

Best Regards.

utu
12-03-2015, 03:57 AM
I just woul like to bring to your attention that the output format of the "ifconfig" program have now changed
which now breaks multiple scripts, knoppix-terminalserver being one of them. Knoppix 7.5.0 was still ok.
cf: https : / / bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=784314

1--I think you may have better luck getting Klaus K on Debian-Knoppix mailing list.
2--Regarding your query, I also had some of my pet tweaks stop working recently.
It seems that in my case iwlist no longer works as before. However, I found the nmcli does a lot more.
You may see my example at http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/31743-A-built-in-wifi-scanning-command-you-can-add-to-Knoppix?highlight=nmcli

ruymbeke
12-03-2015, 04:13 AM
Hi Klaus,
It helps to know that the new name for this library is: libc6-dev-amd64.
It works great. Thank you very much.
Best Regards,
Gilles

PS: If not you who is the inventor of Knoppix ?

Werner P. Schulz
12-03-2015, 08:06 AM
PS: If not you who is the inventor of Knoppix ?Prof. Knopper is the inventor of Knoppix. He is a very rare visitor in this Forum and his user name here is "knopper".

Jeffery Mewtamer
12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Have successfully made a DVD that boots in Adriane by default, have it installed on on my Laptop and have made in-roads to customizing the install to my liking. Having problems on my Desktop, however. 0WN's automatic partitioning and use whole hard disk options fail repeatedly, I've never been able to figure out the manual partitioner 0WN uses, and while my attempts to manually set-up the harddrive via fdisk, mkswap, and mkfs.reiserfs seem to be successful, 0WN keeps complaining about not enough swap space despite the swap partition showing up as being at least 4GB under parted and Adriane's default file manager and the help document from 0WN stating that only a single GB of swap is needed.

klaus2008
12-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Hi!
Did you activate the created swap partition with the swapon command before you started 0WN?