PDA

View Full Version : Language

felinus
10-01-2015, 09:06 AM
I am new to Linux and have spent a few weeks trying out the various distro's. I keep coming back to Knoppix as it
really seems the best.
I have one problem though, every time I boot I have to type in "knoppix lang=uk" to get the Uk keyboard. Surely there is a way to incorporate this
into the boot sequence somehow ?
If someone can solve this one I would be very grateful indeed.
Regards to all
Felinus

joselb
10-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Open the File Manager (PCManFM) and go to: Knoppix-boot-syslinux and then edit syslinux.cfg (click and write). Add the line lang=uk in all the lines and save it. Reboot

felinus
10-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Many thanks joselb, I will try it at the weekend.
Thanks

felinus
10-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Tried that in various ways, but still no luck.
This is my original syslinux.cfg file;

DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
CONFIG /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
APPEND /boot/isolinux

philo
10-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Oops!
UK is for ...Ukraaine.
en_GB is what you want.

philo
10-03-2015, 01:52 PM
lang=en
should work

felinus
10-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Thanks philo and joselb, I have tried it and still I get the US keyboard layout 1
This is the layout of my syslinux.cfg file as it was
DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
APPEND /boot/isolinux

I have tried adding lang=eng and indeed lang=uk into the start of every line also at the end and under each line but I still get the US layout.
I am using Knoppix 7.4 on a stick btw.

Werner P. Schulz
10-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Have a look at → Micro-Remastering

(http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes)
LABEL loadconfig
APPEND /boot/isolinux
This isn't the origin file!

superman
10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
@felinus The cheatcode, lang=uk, works for me. Maybe you have just edited the wrong file. The /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file (mentioned in the link from Post #8 ) probably is the one you are after.

joselb
10-04-2015, 08:06 AM
You are doing it in the wrong file! Anyway, you can always open a terminal and type: setxkbmap=uk and you are done.

felinus
10-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but, still have the problem.
I have been to mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file as superman suggested and the file there looks just like the one I posted earlier i.e.
DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
APPEND /boot/isolinux

Anyhow I have added the line LANG=UK and have even tried LANG=EN
but still no change.
Funnily enough when I edit the syslinux.cfg file I get the = sign on the right key so it must be working ion that part of the system, howver when I go into Libre Office Writer the keyboard is the US layout.
I was initially very impressed with Knoppix but I have to say that a choice of keyboards would seem to be the basic tweak and should be easier to implement.
I have about 30 years of experience with computers and even I am struggling here, goodness knows what a complete tyro would make of it.
I think I will wait and see if a new release fixes the problem.

Werner P. Schulz
10-04-2015, 04:14 PM
You are using a wrong file! Either you or another person deleted the origin. The origin looks like this example (from 7.4.0 / german version):
# KNOPPIX 7.4 isolinux/syslinux boot config

DEFAULT auto
APPEND lang=de apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1

TIMEOUT 100
KBDMAP german.kbd
PROMPT 1
F1 boot.msg
F2 f2
F3 f3
DISPLAY boot.msg

LABEL auto
KERNEL ifcpu64.c32
APPEND knoppix64 -- knoppix

LABEL knoppix
KERNEL linux
APPEND lang=de apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1

LABEL adriane
KERNEL linux
APPEND lang=de apm=power-off video=640x480 initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 adriane

LABEL knoppix64
KERNEL linux64

LABEL adriane64
KERNEL linux64
APPEND lang=de apm=power-off video=640x480 initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 adriane

Olix
11-06-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm facing similar problem. I installed Knoppix on USB stick. When I start with the Adriane menu keyboard is set to German. Also desktop keyboard is German when use the menu option or start from the shell via startx.
If I use knoppix in the config file or as cheat code the desktop always has english keyboard. I tried with option lang=de but it doesn't work. I'm fine to use the start menu but I would like to disable the text to speech. Does anyone know the correct cheat? I don't want to use knoppix because that starts the desktop.

Thanks Olaf

Werner P. Schulz
11-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Have a look at http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes → ### Language/Country ###

Olix
11-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Hi Werner, thanks for the reply. As I said I tried with the cheat code but the keyboard doesn't change to German when I use knoppix lang=de at the boot prompt or in the conf file. If I used the Adriane menu and start desktop with the menu item it is set to German. Same when I use startx from shell. I can change the layout with "setxkbmap de" via console. Seems to me that cheatcode for lang doesn't have any affect when started with knoppix option. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here? Thanks Olaf

Werner P. Schulz
11-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Did you also use "knoppix keyboard=de xkeyboard=de"?

joselb
11-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Is is a great problem to you if you use what I wrote in my previous answer (number 10), changing to "de"?

Olix
11-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Hi Werner I figured the problem is my external cordless keyboard. The keyboard of my laptop works but the external keyboard has US layout in the desktop. @joselb: Running "setxkbmap de" works and change the keyboard to German. I would like to automate as my kids will use the machine, too. Maybe you or Werner know how I can run it during startup of desktop? Thanks Olaf

joselb
11-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't know exactly why some computers don't work with the language in boot. I don't know how to fix it but maybe you can make that command to execute as a text file in your desktop, it could be easier.