PDA

View Full Version : various boot problems new user.

huggyg71
06-25-2003, 02:46 AM
hi i fancied trying linux and knoppix looked like fun but am having problems at boot.

i have a packard bell imedia 5051 pc,1.8 celeron(gigabyte GA-8siml mobo), 512 ddr,40gig st340810a seagate hard drive,radeon 9000 128 np,philips cdd 5101 combi drive,realtec 8139 nic.

after booting from the knoppix cd the first error i get is"error only one processor found"

my memory is then detected as 515mb and the next few lines say cloop error at xxxxxxx(various numbers)

it then continues to load and after the green bar it detects my graphics card and nic.

the screen then goes black for a few seconds and the next screen i see says loading system services.this takes about 30 secs and then the screen goes black apart from my mouse pointer that is frozen sometimes,other times i can move it.

i have tried all the cheats and get the same result.

the testcd cheat returns the error that the download is either incomplete or my ram is bad.

i have tested my ram with memtest and its ok.and downloaded knoppix from another location.still get the same error.

the download was only 645mb,i thought it was supposed to be 700?have found another link thats 699mb so am downloading that to try.

any suggestions would be great as am new to all this.sorry for the long post and thanks.

huggyg71
06-25-2003, 02:50 AM
further to above.i have tried burning the iso image at speeds as low as x4 and still get the same errors.

huggyg71
06-25-2003, 02:20 PM
i have now downloaded knoppix again and used the slowes speed to burn the disk.

it boots ok this time no errors,detects all my hardware and continues as far as the desktop.

now my mouse does not work,it is stuck in the middle of the screen.

my mouse is a logitec usb wheelmouse.

any ideas please?

archdlx
06-25-2003, 02:48 PM
I am new to this game, (can't even get mine to boot), but if you go to
http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt there is a piece on getting your wheelmouse to work, I hope! LeRoy

timmoore47
06-25-2003, 04:22 PM
I get problems with my usb mouse as well so I just use a regular PS/2 mouse. That on V3.2

Tim

huggyg71
06-25-2003, 05:04 PM
thank you for the replies.i have managed to get it to work using the failsafe cheat but i cannot connect to the internet.

not sure how to set up and save the devices either.will keep trying.

Dave_Bechtel
06-25-2003, 10:21 PM
--My logitech usb wheelmouse works fine in Knoppix. Failsafe may be why it's not being detected, but that's just a guess.

--Are you using ' kppp ' for Internet?

thank you for the replies.i have managed to get it to work using the failsafe cheat but i cannot connect to the internet.

not sure how to set up and save the devices either.will keep trying.

huggyg71
06-25-2003, 10:32 PM
the only way i can get the mouse to work is either use failsafe or nousb cheats(it is a usb mouse though)

either way it all works ok but the internet doesnt work.

kppp?? HMmmm i will have to get back to ya on that.i have a lot to learn still.

i have tried konqueror and mozilla.mozilla says i am connected but when clicking on a link or typing in an address it says address cannot be found.my nic is detected at start up though.

i connect to the internet via cable modem via ethernet and my isp is NTL (uk)

huggyg71
06-26-2003, 02:39 AM
WHOOoooHOOooo!!! i have finaly managed to get it all up and running.

im now posting this from mozilla using knoppix.

i used the console window command netcardconfig - dchp and then clicked no to dchp and set it up manually.

this didnt work ie/ i could still not connect but i didnt get any errors so i saved knoppix settings to floppy and rebooted using myconfig /mnt/auto/floppy

and here i am. :-)

experienced users probally already know this but if any noob out there is having the same problem i though if i posted this it may help them.

thanks to all who have helped me so far.no doubt i will be back with more silly questions.

ps.does anybody know how to get the scroll wheel working on a mouse?

Stephen
06-26-2003, 03:33 AM
ps.does anybody know how to get the scroll wheel working on a mouse?

It should be working automatically but use the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) wheelmouse when you boot and see if that works.

huggyg71
06-27-2003, 07:25 PM
thanks.i have tried using wheelmouse and it makes no difference.i have also tried all the available settings in the display set up,saved the settings and rebooted,still not working.

its detected as a pci mouse at start up but it is usb??

also my radeon 9000 is detected at start up but my display is only 640x480 8bit 85hz even if i set for 800x600 16bit 85hz.there is no listing for the card in setup so i have selected generic radeon,is this wrong?

basically everything is working but to get it to do so i have to use the cheat failsafe knoppix myconfig = scan to get it to do so.the mouse then works but no scroll wheel.the scroll wheel is clickable though.

if i dont choose failsafe i get "error only one processor found" at start up,the sound is choppy and the cursor freezes when it loads to the desktop.

Stephen
06-27-2003, 08:29 PM
You should check your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and under your mouse section make sure the lines Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" and option "buttons" "5" are in the options. Also I read somewhere in a post that some logitech mouse use a different protocol Option "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2". Make sure you keep a seperate copy of your working config in case this screws it up.

For the video card you were correct in choosing the closet match for your card. I had a similar problem with my GeForce4 I had to use the generic driver until I installed to the HD and then used Nvidia's driver. There is a noddc cheat code to disable detection of the monitor settings have you tried using ddc as a cheat code when you boot the failsafe to see if it will try to detect your monitor settings.

huggyg71
06-27-2003, 08:47 PM
thanks for that.i will try it.

my monitor is detected correctly.its a packard bell a527 (aka nci5010 )so thats ok.the graphics card is also detected as a rv250 radeon 9000(secondary) i think the secondary bit is the problem.this is the dual monitor display??? i only have one monitor connected and its via vga.

i have seen there is a raddy 9000 driver for linux on atis site.but i guess i need to have a proper install for this to work?

unfortunatly i dont have my drive partitioned and dont really relish the though of wiping everything to do this.can i partition my drive without having to reinstall windows again? i run xp on ntfs.

also what would step 1.4 here work and could i then install drivers and programs? http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo

thanks again for all the help.

fingers99
06-27-2003, 09:11 PM
also what would step 1.4 here work and could i then install drivers and programs?

I don't think so. Best bet is to repartition your drive and install Knoppix to the HD.

Partition Magic is the obvious tool to use, but you might find that Ranish can handle the evil ntfs. Do a Google for it.

huggyg71
06-27-2003, 09:18 PM
if i had an xp cd i would just go ahead and try it.unfortunatly i have an oem version of xp with a recovery disk that reads from a hidden partition on the drive.

im afraid to partition incase this gets wiped.that would be very bad i think.

Dave_Bechtel
06-28-2003, 04:56 AM
--Yah; at that point you're better off buying a 2ndary drive and installing Knoppix to hdb.

if i had an xp cd i would just go ahead and try it.unfortunatly i have an oem version of xp with a recovery disk that reads from a hidden partition on the drive.

im afraid to partition incase this gets wiped.that would be very bad i think.