PDA

View Full Version : Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

davec51
11-26-2015, 04:23 AM
I have come back to Knoppix after some time. I like 7.6.0, but I can't connect to my wired network printer. The server is Windows 10. I know that I need to give the server a username and password. I know what these are, but I don't know where to make them visible. Other distros provide a GUI interface for that; please help.

Werner P. Schulz
11-26-2015, 08:55 AM
If Windows offers the print service, you have to configure it within Windows.

Knoppix is the client. You can look for printers within your LAN using Menu → Preferences → Print Settings and there → Network Printer → Find Network Printer

davec51
11-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Windows is set up to share the printer, and it's easily found by my Linux (Knoppix) computer. My problem is that I don't know how to supply the ID and password to authorize the printing. Somewhere, I suspect, is a configuration file into which the password can be inserted.

klaus2008
11-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Hi!

I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

I hope that helps.

davec51
11-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Hi!

I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

I hope that helps.

Thanks klaus2008. That was easy. I guess I tried to configure directly from CUPS and didn't have an opportunity to supply the ID and password.