PDA

View Full Version : Root is in German

standmatt
06-25-2003, 04:35 AM
I installed the German Version onto my hdd and I can log on using the knoppix login in english as long as i use the cheat code "knoppix lang=us" at startup how do I make this apply to root as well

Thanks
Matt

joekm
06-25-2003, 06:00 PM
If you are starting up in KDE (and the systray is on the taskbar), there is probably a little picture of a German Flag. Click on that until it changes into an American flag and that should be all you need to do.

Otherwise (still relatively new to KDE so bear with me), in the configuration menu (icon looks like a computer PCI card), I believe there is a KDE setup wizard that will allow you to set language, etc.

Hope this is of some help,

Joe

Stephen
06-25-2003, 06:45 PM
I installed the German Version onto my hdd and I can log on using the knoppix login in english as long as i use the cheat code "knoppix lang=us" at startup how do I make this apply to root as well

Thanks
Matt

This page (http://www.crouse.ws/knoppix.html) should help.

asheehy
08-19-2003, 10:37 PM
There is another step that helps. You have to edit or change the file /ets/sysconfig/i18n so that it looks like the following.

LANG="C"
COUNTRY="us"
LANG="C"
LANGUAGE="us"
CHARSET="iso8859-1"
XMODIFIERS=""

If, like me, you forget to enter the lang=us before installing to the hard drive the file will look like

ANG="de_DE@euro"
COUNTRY="de"
LANG="de_DE@euro"
LANGUAGE="de"
CHARSET="iso8859-15"
XMODIFIERS=""

Let me know how you make out