PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Windows Files

standmatt
06-25-2003, 04:39 AM
Is there a way that I can access my windows files from knoppix??? I would like to get my mp3s which are all stored on a windows partition.

Thanks
Matt

rec9140
06-25-2003, 05:43 AM
Is there a way that I can access my windows files from knoppix??? I would like to get my mp3s which are all stored on a windows partition.

Is this on a HD installed Knoppix?

Is Knoppix installed to the SAME HD?

OR

Are is this MP3 directory on another machine thats connected via a LAN?

If they are on the same HD its as simple matter of mounting that partition.

If they are on a LAN, then you need to set up Samba on the Knoppix machine to read the Windows Shares on the windows box.

A little more detail on the exact setup would help to point you to the correct path.

standmatt
06-25-2003, 06:22 AM
Sorry,

Yes it is

Is Knoppix installed to the SAME HD
Yes the HD has 3 partitions the Linux one, the Linux swap one, and the Win98 Fat32 one

If they are on the same HD its as simple matter of mounting that partition
How do I go about this, i know it's probably simple but im new at this.

Thanks
Matt

newiaqua
06-25-2003, 07:02 AM
to access windows partitions you have to mount them under some your created directory.
first to look which partitions linux discoveres type: dmesg|grep hd
then create some dir: mkdir fat-c
and try to mount 1 of them: mount /dev/hda1 /fat-c
if it's your windows partition then you'll have no problems -> type: mount and edit the /etc/fstab to place the new information you've got from mount dump - > with that you'll automatically have access over your windows partition when linux boots.
If you want ordinary users to have some kind of permissions over your /fat-c :)
then write: mount /dev/hda1 /fat-c -o umask=000
That's for now.

Stephen
06-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Sorry,

Yes it is

Open a console (clam shell icon on taskbar) and type su then enter type in your root password and enter again. Then gvim /etc/fstab to open the fstab for editing and remove the # from the line which will already be there for the drive under the Partitions found by knoppix you will see your other two partitions above the lines so it should be easy to pick the right one save the file. Create a desktop icon by right clicking and choosing create new then hard disk choose the right /dev/hd?? from the device tab and make sure that it is not set read only click ok and you will now be able to access your files by clicking on the icon on the desktop.

fingers99
06-26-2003, 12:15 AM
I like Stephen's solution best, but I doubt if you'll be able to use gvim as su (at least, not without a lot of messing about) you could use vim, but that's nothing like newbie freindly enough. :wink:

The answer is to log in as root and do

gvim /etc/fstab

hit i (to get into insert mode) and then do as Stephen says.

You'll need, as root (or su) to do

mount -a (or reboot) for the changes to become effective.

Stephen
06-26-2003, 01:30 AM
mount -a (or reboot) for the changes to become effective.

You don't have to mount or re-boot the entry for the drive will be uncommented in the fstab so it will auto-mount the drive when you click on the icon just the same as if you clicked on the floppy icon.

standmatt: Forgot to add if you want the drive mounted every time you boot remove the no from the noauto in the line.

icarus
10-07-2003, 11:46 AM
i tried editing fstab, no luck.

my drives:

/dev/hdb1 = FAT32
/dev/hdd1 = NTFS

i can mount my FAT32 under knoppix and my NTFS, but i cannot view thae data on it... in console or in Konquere. any help would be great.

fingers99
10-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Details, please. What does the /etc/fstab entry say?

where is the partition mounted?

Can you, in a Xterm (and as root) do:

cd /where_the_partition_is_mounted

ls

and does anything show up?