PDA

View Full Version : Prob with ISP connexion in hd-install ver. 3.2 06-06-03?

annamerikin
06-25-2003, 06:09 AM
I posted that I was not able to connect to the internet over a dialup line to my ISP with a hd install of Knoppix-3.2 060603 in the networking forum a few days ago. Since, I have continued to troubleshoot this prob, but a few minutes ago a respondent (in another forum) recommended I try running from the Live CD.

I write this to you from the same ver. running off the CD. It connects fine. When installed to the hard disk, though, it's broken, as my previous posts describe, so I decided to cross-post here, too, if I may.

I notice that /etc/resolv.conflict is now correctly filled in with the dynamic DNS my ISP provides; this is emphatically NOT SO in the hdinstall, where the orig /etc/resolv.conflict was empty, and no corrections in it would bring KPPP, wvdial or pon to connect.

Any hints on how I might fix the hd installed version? Copy which files to the hdinstall?

I quite like Knoppix and running from the hard disk is SO MUCH faster.

todsr1
06-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Have you tried using pppconfig to set up the scripts reqired by pon? If yes, what options did you use....?

annamerikin
06-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Used default "provider"
Used correct username/password (English keyboard)
Conneced to correct port (serial 1) at 115200
CHAP authentication (same as my working Red Hat)
Hangup (SIGHUP) after password sent.

Works fine from the LiveCD

annamerikin
06-26-2003, 04:26 AM
The Subject says it all. Although I did a MD5 sum check on the ISO I downloaded, I copied the ISO from one hard disk to another, then installed the target hard disk on a new box, burned the ISO, but didn't notice a filesize mismatch between the target ISO and the source. 16+ MB are missing! Damn Windows!

But I digress. This was not Knoppix' problem. It was all mine.