PDA

View Full Version : Rescue knoppix-data partition

reimon
05-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Hello, I'm a happy user of Knoppix 7.6.0

Today , trying to repair a USB drive I deleted the knoppix -data partition (qparted) of my usb where I have some data.

I have not formatted the partition so maybe the data is recoverable .It's possible ? As I can do ?

Thanks and greetings,

Reimon

Harry Kuhman
05-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Sure, if the drive has not been reformatted or otherwise written to, the old data might be recoverable.

While there may be ways to do this in Knoppix, I'm more comfortable with Windows recovery software. i would suggest that you look at the free Windows program Recuva and see if that can't recover your files.

reimon
05-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Thanks Harry.

I tried it with TestDisk, Photorec and Recuva but it seems they do not 'see' the deleted Knoppix-data partition.

I do not know if I can create a new Knoppix USB and copy the partition table can work or maybe there is a better solution.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Reimon

I tried it with

reimon
05-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Hello !!!

I copied the partition table from another Knoppix usb with same size and I have obtained, with PhotoRec, 2 gpg files, 1 ddf file and 1 jsp file.

With these files and knowing the key that I use when I create the Knoppix data volume, I can rescue my files ?

Thanks,

Reimon

Werner P. Schulz
05-14-2016, 11:28 PM
If testdisk didn't show you some of the content within the data partition of Knoppix, there may be a total loss. Rebuild of the partition table cannot restore anything of the content.

reimon
05-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks Werner.

Luckily I have backup I have only lost a few files.

Greetings,

Reimon