PDA

View Full Version : knoppix won't boot for noob!

archdlx
06-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi there! Hope someone can help. Downloaded Knoppix, ( 4 days ), burnt to cd, rebooted 'puter, got the following: boot from ATAPTI cd-rom: failure
loading windows 98

my system is semi home built, celeron 1.7, 384 megs ram, 10 gig hdd, gforce 2 vid card, lg burner, roxio software, all on windows 98se.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Thank-you, LeRoy.

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi there! Hope someone can help. Downloaded Knoppix, ( 4 days ), burnt to cd, rebooted 'puter, got the following: boot from ATAPTI cd-rom: failure

It sounds to me as though you don't have a bootable cd. (or just as likely Bill has implanted a trojan on your machine that won't let it boot Linux cd's) but probably you didn't burn a bootable disc. What do you see if you look at the disc in wimdoze? If you only see one big file you didn't burn the disc properly. I have never used Roxio so I'm not going to be much help there.

archdlx
06-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks rickenbacherus, I don't have a bootable cd! Burnt 3 more, in different ways, iso, joliet, single track, etc., with no luck. going to have to buy a cd that's already burnt. Again, thank-you, LeRoy.

fingers99
06-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Alternatively, instructions (and downloads!) for burning isos in Windows are to be found at

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html