PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 7.7.1: No way to disable networking from the GUI icon ...

Albretch
12-10-2016, 08:42 AM
You must go:

# ifconfig eth0 down

Or actually physically disconnect the cable

Why was this change made?

The icon option is grayed out, unreachable using the keyboard or mouse

lbrtchx

Albretch
12-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Also, I just noticed that even though you use ifconfig to disconnect yourself from the Internet, when you restart your session, 7.7.1 automatically connects to the Internet.

Assuming that someone wants to be connected to the Internet, making knoppix automatically connect I find preposterous in these times in which the Internet is a vast surveillance miasm.

Is the other only safe option left disconnecting the cable physically?

lbrtchx

Werner P. Schulz
12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
The icon option is grayed out, unreachable using the keyboard or mouseNow you can use left mouseclick → "Disconnect" below your existing connection.
.. when you restart your session, 7.7.1 automatically connects to the Internet.Use "Edit connections.." from nm-applet → "Edit" your connection → "General" → disable "Automatically ..".

Albretch
12-10-2016, 10:18 AM
$ which nm-applet
/usr/bin/nm-applet

$ nm-applet --version

(nm-applet:12575): Gtk-WARNING **: GTK+ module libgail.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.

$ nm-applet

(nm-applet:12579): Gtk-WARNING **: GTK+ module libgail.so cannot be loaded.
GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported.

$

so, I could not run the nm-applet

I think the "Automatically" option should be left disabled by default as it was before. I could also see other (probably most?) people may not think like me. They may also be the same ones who don't know/want to know how all computers are being routinely hacked into and mapped by the NSA ...

lbrtchx

Werner P. Schulz
12-10-2016, 10:43 AM
The nm-applet is already active → the icon on the right side of the panel.

Albretch
12-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Yes. This is what I am talking about but I can't easily take a screenshot of it because ksnapshopt was taken off ;-).

You can't access (they look grayed out) the last two options of the icon on the right side of the panel which look like the plug to a CAT5 cable:

Enable Networking
Enable Wi-Fi

The first one Enable Networking looks perpetually checked even if you physically unplug the cable

lbrtchx