PDA

View Full Version : touchpad tapping mod

was698002
01-05-2017, 05:53 PM
This problem has been addressed on this forum before but I can't make the answer work. Touchpad tapping is not enabled by default, but 'synclient TapButton1=1' from a console at run level 5 enables it. It does not work from run level 2 because that is not a graphical environment. In order to make the change permanent the advice is to go to /etc/X11/Xsession.d and add a file say '15x11-synaptics' with this content : synclient "TapButton1=1". The problem is that the file system is mounted read-only and chmod doesn't work. You can't find the file on the unmounted flash drive. How can you get this line in Xsession.d?

philo
01-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Did you try this command in a terminal:

sudo leafpad /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics

utu
01-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Greetings was698002 and welcome to the forum.

All but one of the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are owned by root and read-only.
However, one file, 45knoppix, is owned by root and also executable.

I add a synclient command to this file, at its end, to tweak my touchpad.
This is slightly simpler than adding a new file just for this one tweak.

Quote marks are not necessary for the command.

Of course, you'll need to have persistence working for this to make a permanent
change to your system.

was698002
01-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Works fine on 7.7.2 despite the file description as an anachronistic holdover. Never would have found it without you. thanks.

Greetings was698002 and welcome to the forum.

All but one of the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are owned by root and read-only.
However, one file, 45knoppix, is owned by root and also executable.

I add a synclient command to this file, at its end, to tweak my touchpad.
This is slightly simpler than adding a new file just for this one tweak.

Quote marks are not necessary for the command.

Of course, you'll need to have persistence working for this to make a permanent
change to your system.

utu
01-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Works fine on 7.7.2 ... thanks.
Was not aware of 7.7.2, but glad it works for you.
The old forum record harks back to when I thought /etc/rc.local should work, and it didn't.

wspc
07-17-2017, 12:43 AM
The lack of touchpad support is the one single frustrating thing about Knoppix.
What is persistence mode and how does one achieve it?
Can you upload the specific changes that need to be made to Knoppix (text/file/folder) to make touchpad work reliably
Other Linux distros have an app in settings that allows touchpad to be toggled. Why is Knoppix different?

thriftee
08-06-2017, 07:01 AM
The lack of touchpad support is the one single frustrating thing about Knoppix. What is persistence mode and how does one achieve it? Can you upload the specific changes that need to be made to Knoppix (text/file/folder) to make touchpad work reliably Other Linux distros have an app in settings that allows touchpad to be toggled. Why is Knoppix different? in 7.7.1 the program you are asking about in in a package called gpointing-device-settings. If you install that you will have control of it via GUI. The persistence stuff is covered in http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/31952-How-can-I-run-well-from-the-hard-drive-with-persistence