PDA

View Full Version : Adding Hard Drives

shaun
06-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi All,
As a newbie to Knoppix/Linux I decided that it would be safer to unplug the power connectors to my existing 2 hard disks before adding the drive that I have installed Knoppix to using knx-hdinstall, ( the grief from the rest of the family had I accidentally trashed the current system would have been severe). I have now got a Linux system that I am quite happy with and would like to put the Linux disk into the exiting system to produce a dual boot system.
The question is, will the other 2 drives cause the Linux disk to move from hda and so not allow the linux system to boot correctly?
Also does anybody know how to make Openoffice start quicker?

Thanks

Shaun

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Hi All,
As a newbie to Knoppix/Linux I decided that it would be safer to unplug the power connectors to my existing 2 hard disks before adding the drive that I have installed Knoppix to using knx-hdinstall, ( the grief from the rest of the family had I accidentally trashed the current system would have been severe). I have now got a Linux system that I am quite happy with and would like to put the Linux disk into the exiting system to produce a dual boot system.
The question is, will the other 2 drives cause the Linux disk to move from hda and so not allow the linux system to boot correctly?

You're asking a very open ended question here. I'll venture an answer anyway.

Primary Master- /dev/hda
Primary Slave- /dev/hdb
Secondary Master- /dev/hdc
Secondary Slave- /dev/hdd

Where does your Knoppix drive fit in the above drive layout?

What boot manager are you going to use? Let's say for example that your Knoppix drive is going to be on /dev/hdd. Just install LILO to the /root partition of your Knoppix drive and edit it so that your boot manager points to /dev/hdd.

OR you could put the Knoppix drive in as /dev/hda and edit LILO so that it points to your other bootable drive. This way LILO would be your boot manager. Be aware that since wimpdoze usually crashes at the slightest glitch anyway you could have all sorts of issues to deal with by moving it from /dev/hda. wimdoze (like it's evil creator) insists on being first so it might freak out if you move it. I dunno.

Also does anybody know how to make Openoffice start quicker?

It's a huge heavy program- the only thing I know of is getting a faster machine w/ more RAM. Probably not what you wanted to hear eh?

shaun
06-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the responce.
I think what I wanted to ask was that if I installed to Hda (primary master) and then relocated the drive to hdd (secondary slave) would the system still boot with only the boot manager requiring tweeking to point to the new location, or do I have to re-install the system with the drive in it's new location.

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 09:32 PM
There is no need to reinstall unless you bork the install so badly there is no other way to fix it. I realize that wimpdoze has taught many people this very bad habit of reinstalling. Quit that! heh heh ;)

You need to have LILO (or GRUB) installed to your Knoppix hard drive. Then just edit your bootmanager so that it points to /dev/hdd./ LILO (if installed correctly) will take over the boot process from there.

LILO if properly installed should have the following included in /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hdd
root=/dev/hdd

The easiest way to do it would be to boot the Knoppix hard drive, edit lilo then /sbin/lilo.

Then install the hard drive to /dev/hdd and it should work. gluck

Stephen
06-26-2003, 10:52 PM
The easiest way to do it would be to boot the Knoppix hard drive, edit lilo then /sbin/lilo.

Then install the hard drive to /dev/hdd and it should work. gluck

Also edit the /etc/fstab to change from hda to hdd for the filesystems.