PDA

View Full Version : Asus A7V8X network adapter not working

cybervet
06-25-2003, 11:52 PM
I found a previous thread with the same subject but at the end there was no result.My mobo is Asus A7V8X with integraded Broadcom 10/100 nic.
Cat /proc/pci finds the nic at IRQ 5 (no conflict), but when I try to set the net adapter i get the msg network adapter uknown.
Is there a way that I can have my Knoppix recognize the nic?
Thanks in advance
Tassos

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 01:07 AM
The only solutitons I have seen for this card are:

A)Install Knoppix to your hard drive and then install the correct driver.

B)Get a new NIC.

I know that neither of those are likely what you wanted to hear. You can get NICs for $5 each at pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com)

Sorry I can't be of any more help. :cry:

cybervet
06-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Is there a way that i can istall the driver without having to intall to HD?like using a usb flash. floppy or even remastering the cd so that it contains the broadcom driver?

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 01:35 AM
AFAIK it should be possible to remaster with the driver included yes. You might join the mailing list and see if there are plans of including it in any future releases. I don't beleive that we'll be seeing another release until after LinuxTag tho. Given the fact that there have been quite a few people disappointed by the fact that there is no broadcom support on Knoppix it might just be something they're working on. I beleive that the driver can be obtained through Debian so hopefully Klaus would have no issues with including it on a future release. But- you'd do best to inquire about that on the mailing list.

You might be able to get the driver loaded from floppy but I'm not sure how to go about it. Anybody else?

gluck

cybervet
06-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok I will try to remaster knoppix and include the Broadcom 44xx driver for the Asus mobos.
Since I am a complete newbie in this stuff , any help about how I should go about it will be greatelly apreciated (not the remastering stuff but the installation of the driver).
Tassos

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 05:20 PM
You can get the driver (http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/bcm4400-source.html) directly from Debian.

Here's a little info on apt-get (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638)

cybervet
06-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Ok after deciding to remaster and include the broadcom driver everything went fine (according to the instractions in the site) except the last step where i have to do :
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -b KNOPPIX/boot.img -c KNOPPIX/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master

Where i got these B*****t :

mkisofs <somefilename> and <someotherfilename> have the same joliet name
mkisofs: joliet tree sort failed

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase someone ,explain me what this message means and what is wrong in the procedure in the site.
Thanx
Tassos

aay
06-27-2003, 01:29 AM
I've gotten this error before when using mkisofs and resolved it by removing -J as one of the options. Try doing it without the -J option. The -J stands for the Joliet file extension. According to this page (http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/joliet.html) Joliet is, " a Microsoft extension to the ISO 9660 filesystem that allows Unicode characters to be used in filenames. This is a benefit when handling internationalization. Like the Rock Ridge extensions, Joliet also allows long filenames." Since neither Linux doesn't have the kind of problems that MS does with long file names you shouldn't need it. Let us know how it goes.

------
edit
------
P.S. I'm removing your identical post over in the remastering forum since cross posting is discouraged here.

cybervet
07-01-2003, 01:27 AM
:lol: After some time and 3 cdrs i managed to remaster the Knoppix with the Broadcom driver installed.............. :lol:
Thanks to everyone that took time to help me out...
Tassos

rickenbacherus
07-01-2003, 04:31 AM
:lol: After some time and 3 cdrs i managed to remaster the Knoppix with the Broadcom driver installed.
Tassos

Dude- that's awesome! Maybe you could put it up somewhere for dl for others in need.
So did the remaster almost kill you? What was it that finally got you over that last hump with mkisofs?

cybervet
07-01-2003, 09:24 AM
I can u/l somewhere if there is a free place and someone is interested.
Concerning the mkisofs the trick was to use a -juliet-long (found it somewhere in the forum).
And now an overview of the difficalties I had in remastering and some Notes for people that want to try remastering.
The process is pretty straightformard IF you read all 3 HOWTO s (all of them at some point they have some minor mistakes either on the syntax or the filenames) , Since I was remastering the cluster Knoppix the correct file was boot288.img and not boot.img ,
The driver from debian is acttually source even if it comes in .deb form , you have to install the deb. and then make a tar install in order to work.
Good luck to anyone and if you need any help please post, the Linux comunity is big and helpfull.....
Tassos

rickenbacherus
07-01-2003, 12:08 PM
The following is an excerpt from the mailing list and supposedly a working script to follow. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this script.

#!/bin/bash
rm /KNOPPIX/New-Master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
mkisofs -R /KNOPPIX/New-Source | create_compressed_fs - 65536
>
/KNOPPIX/New-Master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
mkisofs -r -J -b KNOPPIX/boot.img -c KNOPPIX/boot.cat -o
/mnt/windows/new.iso /KNOPPIX/New-Master
echo "Done"

The only time I have had problems with iso images being too large was
when I
forgot to delete stuff I had copied over. I have done a bunch of
custom
builds where the only thing I did was create 3 text files in
/etc/init.d/,
and the re-compressed iso fit onto a 700meg CD.