PDA

View Full Version : Hot Swappable Drives and Sound Card on Presario 2800

xolstis
06-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Hello, am another newbie to linux. Am running Knoppix 3.2 on a Presario 2800 laptop. Did a full install today and am having some difficulties now. My CD-ROM and FDD are hot-swappable. Knoppix sees them both but I am unable to mount either one. It says something to the effect of too many file systems. Am doing a dual boot with WinXP on another partition.

Also when I call up info on my sound card it says no info available. Loggin in as root, there is actually sound on startup but not so with running under normal user. When I ran knoppix live of the CD it could play sound but very softly.

Finally this is gonna sound plenty stupid, but how do i install drivers?

Thanks.

aay
06-26-2003, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure about the swapable drive issue, but I'll try to help with the sound.

First of all make your volume levels are turned up. I this sounds a little trite, but I've found it to be the source of many a sound problems. You can adjust your volume levels by using aumix.

If that doesn't work, make sure that your user belongs to the audio group. You can add yourself this way:

adduser <yourusername> audio.

Sounds as if your sound card is properly detected since you get sound for Root, so that shouldn't be a problem.

xolstis
06-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Haha spot on.... volume was down too low. How do I get into aumix. Was trying to find the volume controls in vain earlier today when I found out volume was the problem.

xolstis
06-26-2003, 06:45 PM
nvm the aumix thing, got that...thanks

Stephen
06-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Haha spot on.... volume was down too low. How do I get into aumix. Was trying to find the volume controls in vain earlier today when I found out volume was the problem.

Handy tip: edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add aumix -w 60 -v 60 to the bottom of the file and your levels will be set every time you boot.

xolstis
06-26-2003, 10:13 PM
thanks, but could i know what the -w 60 -v 60 stands for?

Stephen
06-26-2003, 10:57 PM
thanks, but could i know what the -w 60 -v 60 stands for?

I assume the -v stands for volume not sure about the -w read it in a post when I was having trouble with sound and it worked so I thought I would pass it on.

xolstis
06-27-2003, 05:50 AM
okies thanks so i could set it to 100 instead of 60? is that 60 standing for dB or volume %

Stephen
06-27-2003, 06:29 AM
okies thanks so i could set it to 100 instead of 60? is that 60 standing for dB or volume %

I believe it would be percent but I remember reading somewhere not to set it above 75 you can give it a try at 100 if you want. I know with it set at 60 I never have to turn the volume on the speakers past close to a half of the way to get almost full volume from them YMMV.

xolstis
06-28-2003, 06:01 AM
Set it to 85 and got it to work, 75 is still too soft for me.

Stephen
06-28-2003, 06:56 AM
Set it to 85 and got it to work, 75 is still too soft for me.

You may want to look at this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831) also. Using this was the first time I ever noticed a real difference in using the equalizer in XMMS other than the increased volume from the pre-amp the sound sounds much cleaner.