PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 2 Harddrive or Debian 3.0 r1?

Isaacav2
06-26-2003, 09:38 AM
I have decided to install Linux on my new system, thanx to Knoppix .

Question is, I have read somewhere that installing the O.S. off of the Knoppix C.D. to your harddrive is unstable errr something... So should I just download and install the latest Debian?

Oh and if installing from Knoppix is not a problem, then how would I go about doing that?

Thanks to all of the helpful people on this board :o

mikekgr
06-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Dear Isaacav2,
I suggesting you to install the latest possible version of Knoppix 3.2 (till now is 06/06/2003).
The installation progress is very easy I think, just open a console from KDE desktop (or press Ctrl + Alt +F2 at the same time to access a real console), type sudo and press enter key, type knx-hdinstall and press enter key then just follow the on screen instructions. Be very carefull not to delete or defect any existing OS partition or installation settings...

If you have other or unanswered questions please let me know and I will try to help you (I am newbie too!!!)

Stephen
06-26-2003, 05:30 PM
I have decided to install Linux on my new system, thanx to Knoppix .

Question is, I have read somewhere that installing the O.S. off of the Knoppix C.D. to your harddrive is unstable errr something... So should I just download and install the latest Debian?

Thanks to all of the helpful people on this board :o

You would be using the testing/unstable sources which are used for the CD. Do not let the "unstable" scare you Debian unstable or SID (still in developement) is far more stable than most operating systems that claim to be stable. I personally have been using it for months with few problems mostly just annoyances with the systems setup.

Oh and if installing from Knoppix is not a problem, then how would I go about doing that?

See the here (http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html).