PDA

View Full Version : fread input/output error

mikesmith36
06-26-2003, 05:37 PM
I have succesfully run Knoppix on my desktop computer, I would also like to run it on my (old) laptop - IBM 380xd (p266 with 96mb RAM), I succesfully ran it a couple of times and it created a swapfile and config file on my hard disk which I was happy with.
I dont think I have done anything different but now when I boot from the knoppix CD it gets to detecting my mouse, seems to stop and then shows 'fread input/output error'.
Booting continues but crashes after detecting system settings on the splash screen, it then shows a blank screen with a mouse pointer (which works) and I have to reboot.
I thought it was a problem with the config file or swapfile but I have deleted those and still get the same error.

Can anyone help?

TIA Mike

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Boot like this:

boot: knoppix 2

run cfdisk, make a new swap partition yourself, then startx or just reboot the Knoppix disc. Knoppix should recognize the swap partition and use it.

If you can't boot knoppix 2 then....

Get Tom's root boot (http://www.toms.net/rb/).
Boot with it. Run fdisk, make your own swap partition and format it for swap. Then reboot with Knoppix. That should work.

mikesmith36
06-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Still get the same problem, the swap file is reported as being created ok, but still crashes with the above error.
I still have no idea what the error means but I think part of the problem MAY be that it is booting at too high a resolution (1024x768) which is not supported by my laptop.
I am exasperated though - booting from a cd which has not changed however it did work fine and yet now appears broken - I would have thought that impossible!

Mike :cry:

rickenbacherus
06-27-2003, 01:40 AM
The cd didn't change- something on the hdd did. What- I dunno. So you made a swap partition yourself right- I don't mean "let Knoppix do it" but make one first THEN try to boot knoppix. If it's trying the wrong secreen then use the screen parameter:

screen=800x600

in your string of cheat codes.

mikesmith36
06-27-2003, 08:38 AM
I did 'let knoppix do it' - mainly because I dont know how to make my own swap partition! :oops:
I'll search this site to see if there is a description of how to do it, if it means doing something destructive to Windows which is already on the drive then I will not be doing it - the fdisk suggestion seems to be 'destructive'.

Thanks - Mike

PS Does anyone know what the error message means - or is it DEFINITELY the swap partition?

mikesmith36
06-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Oops!
Turns out the highly technical 'fault' was a dirty CD :oops:

Thanks very much for all your help - I'm back up and running now :D

Mike

fikakungen
12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi,

Mike; I'm glad you found teh solution to your problem.

My PC behaves the same way, and a new knoppix CD did not help...

In addition; on hd I have multiple boot options:

booting w2k: it stalls at approx 3/4 of the progress bar, switching on /sos in boot.ini only displays ammount of memory.

booting redhat: it stalls when the X-server grid comes up.

knoppix: level2 and level3 are ok, but if I start the X-server it hangs. In textmode I can mount the hard drives, so at least I can see that the I expect to be there are there, altough I can't really tell since I'm no computer wizard...

A hint anyone? I'm getting depserate after having tried to troubleshoot a few weeks now.

later...
/F