PDA

View Full Version : Virus Scanner / minimal knoppix version

freeballer
06-26-2003, 07:39 PM
there should be a minimal version of knoppix of course!

But I'd like to see someone put something like f-prot in there and let their (f-prot's) script to update the virus definitions be put into a persistent home and/or any other changable media (cd/floppy/usb drive) or a part of the loaded/changeable OS.

rickenbacherus
06-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Have you had a look at the Knoppix Customizations (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations) page? There is a Knoppix STD that might fit your requirements- I have yet to check it out.

In fact - I hadn't been to the customizations page in a while- WOW - some people have been busy! This is great stuff!!!

freeballer
06-28-2003, 12:22 AM
yes I briefly took a look at knoppix-std but I did not find f-prot or another virus scanner. Althought there are alot more tools there as well, this is something I'd really like to have working

freeballer
06-28-2003, 12:22 AM
yes I briefly took a look at knoppix-std but I did not find f-prot or another virus scanner. Althought there are alot more tools there as well, this is something I'd really like to have working.
Alot of newer "smaller" version of knoppix have come out as well, which is great 2

cascadefx
07-10-2003, 09:03 PM
yes I briefly took a look at knoppix-std but I did not find f-prot or another virus scanner. Althought there are alot more tools there as well, this is something I'd really like to have working.
Alot of newer "smaller" version of knoppix have come out as well, which is great 2

I have a page that talks about using a modified Knoppix distribution to scan Windows systems with f-prot. At the bottom I have the beginnings of an update to the article that talks about installing f-prot to a Live (ie running) version of knoppix thanks to a script from FabianX.

Check it out here: http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/06/24/fprotVirusScanningWithAModifiedKnoppixCd.html

freeballer
07-11-2003, 03:58 PM
thanks cascadefx will take a look