PDA

View Full Version : SBLive!?? C-Media? Sound issues

XerithsLover
06-27-2003, 05:50 AM
I apologize for the noob question. I have always been a Windows user, but have lately decided to consider shedding the corporate evil that is Microsoft. I chose to test out Linux with the Knoppix Live-On-CD. During the boot process, my SBLive! is recognized, and everything boots as normal. But i dont get any sound. When going though the boot process by typing in "Expert" i was able to activate the "(re)configure sound driver" option. Going through the menus, i was told that i had a CM something. I immediately recognized this as my C-Media on board sound. A test clip was played, which i couldn't hear. I went into the config menu and chose my hardware as a SBLive! But it wouldn't work, Which i thought was odd, because the card was detected. I rebooted, and with the next book just loaded "Knoppix Level 5". Everything loaded as normal (SBLive! detected). Once logged in i plugged my speakers into the C-Media onboard sound, and tried a clip, it worked. I would like to know how to make my SBLive! work, and why its dectecting it and installing the necessary drivers, but than using the C-Media.
Thanx for reading the Noobish question!!!

Stephen
06-27-2003, 06:21 AM
Go into your BIOS and disable the onboard sound and enable the option for Sound Blaster support and that should work although when I did this last week I had to modprobe my joystick for the sound to work once from the CD. Also boot with the alsa cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes). eg knoppix alsa at the boot: prompt. Almost forgot if the BIOS has an auto option for the selection of the sound disable that as well and make sure the card is not in the slot next to the AGP if you are using it causes nothing but problems at least for me YMMV.

Synthetic
06-27-2003, 07:10 PM
I have the EXACT problem!! I still haven't been able to use my "Audigy" driver for my card like knoppix said during boot, but once knoppix is done with loading hardware and what not at the bottom at the boot: prompt type "Knoppix alsa" it's a cheat code for audio. It uses my SB Live Audigy card for sound but I'm not sure if it's to it's full potential.

Hope this helps!!

Edit: I see someone has already told you while I was typing, lots help here!!!

XerithsLover
06-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Hmmm wow ive tried everything... I guess it just hates me... Its just so wierd that it detects and installs the drivers for the SBLive! But uses the C-Media on board sound instead... *sigh* i guess it hates me! Thanx for all your advice!!