PDA

View Full Version : installing a nic driver

cybervet
06-27-2003, 02:45 PM
I decided to remasater the Knoppix iso in order to include the broadcom 44xx nic driver that lots of mobos have integrated.
After some pitfalls that have been overcomed with the help of people on this list , I managed last night to burn the ISO cd but it seems that it's identical to the original????
So I need you to help me find out what I did wrong.
Everything went according to instractions and I installed the driver that I previouslly d/l from debian site by going into MC to dir that had the deb and pressing install (maybe that was wrong and I sould use apt-get <> install ?) . rest of the procedure went fine and finally I burned the iso.
When i used the new iso to start knoppix again it did not recognize my card , neither when i used setnetwork card.Do i have to change anything else in the config files or just installing the driver should be enough?
Thanx in advance Tassos

rickenbacherus
06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
I installed the driver that I previouslly d/l from debian site by going into MC to dir that had the deb and pressing install (maybe that was wrong and I sould use apt-get <> install ?)

I can't really be of much assistance on the customization but it is just fine that you installed your .deb with mc. I do it all the time- it works great.

Very cool that you're trying to make a remaster w/ the Broadcom NIC- I imagine alot of people will want it. gluck

cybervet
06-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Ok the driver for the 10/100 broadcom is in debian site under the /pool, and is the file :
bcm4400-source_1.0.1-1_all.deb
Is this a source or a binary?
I tried apt-get install , no result (can't find the /pool)
same for the apt-get source
I d/l the .deb to my local hd
I tried in the root console MC and install from the directory but for some uknown reason I have the feeling that it was not installed.
Ok i can use some help here, how can I install this .deb?
Note that in the debian directory together with it are the 2 other files that usally go with the source pkgs.
Any help will be gratelly apreciated
Tassos

mikekgr
06-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Sorry I am a little bit out of the subject but cybervet (Tassos) where are you from ???

Best Regards
Mike Kranidis

cybervet
06-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Greece :lol:

Ghandalfar
06-28-2003, 10:49 AM
to check if package is installed to sth like:

dpkg -l | grep bcm

but you've already answered your question - you're installing a source deb package. It's in source because license probably prohibits it from being distributed in binary form..

There is a way to build a binary package from it but I can't think of it now..

try:

dpkg -b <package name>

or..

apt-get --build install <package name>

cybervet
07-01-2003, 01:19 AM
:lol: And yes after 4 days and 3CDRs I managed to remaster the Knoppix and now it includes The broadcom driver.............Yes yEs yes.........
Isn't Linux great????
Thanks for everyone that took the time to help me out.
Tassos

arkaine23
07-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Can you just install the driver as you normally would, even if you're not using a motherboard that uses that NIC? I'd like to make my remaster capable of using the broadcom driver and nforce2 driver.

cybervet
07-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Yes you can I made the remastering in a PIII using a realteac Nic and then I tested the cd in my AMD with the broadcom Nic.
Worked fine , autoconfig detect the driver and had the DHCP net up in notime.
Tassos