PDA

View Full Version : error on boot, noob lost!

Droopy
06-28-2003, 12:22 AM
:shock:

Hello, I just found out about knoppix and i am trying to give it a whirl...

i can boot the disc to where i can see the prompt "boot:" but when i try to go beyond that, by either typing knoppix / failsafe , and i have tried just hitting enter.... it sends me through some more of the boot process and finds my RAM etc.

then when i get to "creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...."

i get..

"SCSI : aborting command due to timeout : pid 83, scsi0, channel 0, id 0 lun 0 read (10) 00 00 05 69 d8 00 00 08 00
hdd: timeout waiting for DMA"

etc etc.....

"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 000000018""

from here it just hangs, when i run in failsafe it throws a whole list of stuff at me after it hangs for a minute or 2.

any clues as to what my issue may be?

i am not much for *ix OS's , but i think it may be looking for a scsi disK? i do not have scsi components in my machine tho.... is there some way to maybe select IDE instead of scsi?

thanks

Droopy

TheCyberDude
06-28-2003, 12:52 AM
Try knoppix failsafe, you had knoppix /failsafe!

Could use this line: knoppix pci=bios
Workaround for bad PCI controllers

knoppix lang=us desktop=kde screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60 xerver=XFree86 xmodule=* 5 wheelmouse**

*= knoppix xmodule=ati|fbdev|i810|mga Use specified XFree4-Module (1)
knoppix xmodule=nv|radeon|savage|s3 Use specified XFree4-Module (2)
knoppix xmodule=radeon|svga|i810 Use specified XFree4-Module (3)

If have none of these use: knoppix-txt
No framebuffer at startup

OR
knoppix vga=normal
No-framebuffer mode, but X

**= nowheelmouse

Also keyboard: keyboard=us This is for text boot.
xkeyboard=us This is for X-Server boot.

Also: dma Enables DMA for ALL Devices!

LAST: Do an Search on Knoppix Forum, seems like I read something about this problem somewhere.[/b]

Droopy
06-28-2003, 01:07 AM
Try knoppix failsafe, you had knoppix /failsafe!
[/b]

what i meant to say was i tried "knoppix" and i tried "failsafe" but neither helped.... i did not however try "knoppix failsafe" i will give that a shot.

and i am on knoppix now, typing this up from my other machine.... i saw an error on boot, something about "error only 1 processor found".....

not sure what to make of that.

Droopy

MorskNorsk
06-28-2003, 06:06 AM
The one processor found message is OK to ignore. The kernel has SMP (multi processor support) and the message was saying you didn't have multiple processors. I don't like that it says error though... that makes it seem like something is wrong.