PDA

View Full Version : Problem adding .conf to /etc/pcmcia

ComatoseJedi
06-28-2003, 06:18 AM
I have a Microsoft Wireless card that has issues. I can't get online. I says that the site is unavailable. To make a long story short I found a .conf file that will let linux recognize the card so long as I paste it into the /etc/pcmcia directory. This brings me to my problem.

I save the .conf file to a floppy while on Windows. It saves it as an html file but when I get into Knoppix I believe that the . I boot knoppix, copy the file from the floppy to the desktop, move the file to the directory /etc/pcmcia. While moving an error box pops up saying that I do not have access to the drive (or something of the sort. I didn't write it down, sorry). I used the rootme command in the root shell because I thought that if I became root then I would have access but it doesn't help (I'm a total newb to Knoppix and the whole Linux scene).

Please help, and thanks in advance! If any of my computer specs are needed just post and ask, PM me, or send an instant message to me on AIM @ FeelConscious. Thanks Again!

garyng
06-28-2003, 10:28 AM
how can you use a configure file designed for window under linux ? to my knowledge, that is impossible.

as for your root access problem, I believe there is a root console option in KNOPPIX and if you can't find it, just do a :

"sudo sh"

in any console

ComatoseJedi
06-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Sorry for the mix up. Its a linux configuration file for the Microsoft Wireless card. I understand how to gain root privileges and how to open up the root console, but this still doesn't fix my problem. Im running knoppix off of a cd. Does this make any difference?